Thread: Transport Chair.

Transport Chair.

Have a need for a transport chair. Like to keep in the car for times when places does not have access to a wheelchair.
    Like to ask what features are a must have and what is a pass.
    What is better? One with all 4 large wheels, all 4 smaller wheels, 2 big wheels in back w/ 2 smaller in front?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Dave, when my late wife needed aid, we went to a medical supply store and tried out various models. You need to evaluate the chair as a tool specific to the needs of the patient and the size and strength of the aid and the variety of the terrain. Small wheels are easily blocked by rough surfaces, uneven surfaces with edges. I'm a strong guy and Barb was a small women and small wheels sometimes had me fighting for control at times.

When I was in Florida earlier this year dealing with my parent's health issues, we had a foldable wheelchair (rental) that was relatively light-weight and easy to transport. It had four smaller wheels (~5-6" each), unlike a normal wheel chair and canvas seating which contributed to to the lower weight. That thing was just the ticket to get my mother into the hospital to visit my dad as even the HC spaces were a long way from the front entrance of the facility and I don't do valet parking. You do not want "tiny" wheels, however, because that will make maneuvering over things more difficult, IMHO. Those ~5-6" wheels were the perfect compromise for portable and fully functional
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Seven years ago, I was in a wheelchair. I had the chair with the 4 smaller wheels. It folded up small, was lighter than the one with the big wheels which was important as my wife needed to fold and stow it in the car. Also I did not have the strength to use the large wheels on a traditional wheel chair. For all these reasons, I had the four small wheel version (5-6 inch diameter)
    One additional thought, when one is in a traditional wheelchair, people expect that you can move yourself out of their way, whether that is a fair assumption or not, it is true.
    Since you wish to keep in the car, I suggest the four wheel version.
    Mike
    I have since recovered and am back among able-bodied, thank you.
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

I would strongly prefer the large wheels in back for most uses. We never used the 4-small-wheels type but it seems appropriate only if the passenger cannot or should not move the chair and if you never go outdoors. Picture going over a curb or rocks with small wheels. You can tip back and roll on the rear wheels if you have to. Make sure you can get it in the car. Get good footrests. It's not just a matter of comfort. They help protect the rider's feet.

Make sure the chair is wide enough but don't get wider than you need because it makes a big difference in maneuverability, especially with doorways and bathrooms.

Wheelchairs are fairly common on Craigslist. You can also buy them inexpensively in drugstores and Harbor Freight except In Florida and one other state but the quality I have seen in those places isn't great. Good enough for temporary use but you can do better.
    Last edited by Alan Rutherford; 08-19-2017 at 11:21 AM.

Thanks for the info.

I was able to borrow one from a friend for the weekend to get a feel for what I (and my Mother) liked.

Seems to me medical equipment in this day and age is so old school. Maybe I am not looking in the right place but same old for years.
    Here is an interesting read about Michael Graves and the Wheelchair.
    http://www.metropolismag.com/product...patient-nurse/
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale