Thread: Paulownia availability

Paulownia availability

Anybody have sources for Paulownia lumber? Rough sawn and willing to ship via freight? Having trouble finding it and thought I'd ask around here.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Mitchell View Post
    Anybody have sources for Paulownia lumber? Rough sawn and willing to ship via freight? Having trouble finding it and thought I'd ask around here.

Thanks!
    What sizes are you looking for and how much? I've never sawn Paulownia on my sawmill but I have at least one tree I need to cut. However, I haven't looked at it for a few years to see how big it is. A friend has one also, too close to her llama barn but I'd have to ask if she wanted it cut down. Boone is within driving distance - I've been there several times.

I looked with Woodfinder and found several suppliers that listed Paulownia. One I've bought from in the past, although it was over 10 years ago: M.Z. Enterprizes (865-640-6209). At that time he had a bunch of species, air dried, at good prices. (I bought cherry, walnut, buckeye, and cedar.) Maybe do a search: http://www.woodfinder.com

JKJ

Groffs lumber has a special in paulownia 4/4 common shorts right now. In the past, I saw they had some slabs available. I have not purchased from them. I just bought some 6/4 8" wide boards from Jackel Enterprises in Watsonville CA, but it was a one-off and they are unlikely to get any more. Paulowniaseed.com offers lumber packs and custom orders. I have not dealt with them either. Woodsurfboardsupply.com also offers 4/4 paulownia boards, but only 6" wide.

If you do find a reliable supply, I would appreciate it if you please let us know.

David

It grows wild around here (Virginia) but I've never seen it at a sawmill, much less at a lumber store. Years ago, the designer/builder of a Japanese house in Mass. needed some Paulownia and cut down a tree in the yard of a friend and neighbor of mine and had it sawn for slabs. It dried quickly without much degrade. We used it in a couple of symbolic/decorative places in the house.

Thanks for the replies. Woodfinder.com is a great resource that I'd forgotten about, but have used in the past.

John, if you don't mind, the next time you're around it, let me know the size of your tree. Thanks for your offer.

David, I'll report back what ends up panning out.

The inquiry for Paulownia is in relation to a traditional Japanese influenced furniture project.