Thread: Bandsaw guidance

Bandsaw guidance

I’m getting ready to pull the trigger on a Laguna 18BX but as I can’t leave well eneough alone, saw this on eBay...

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Max-MM16-...%257Ciid%253A3

I was wondering if some of the bandsaw gurus out there might be willing to take a look at the photos and see if it looks like something that can be rehabilitated or does it look too far gone?

The seller states it runs and is about 12 years old.

I’m certainly capable of doing some basic repairs, replacing guides and tires if needed as well as putting in the work to rehab the cast iron but wanted some type of second opinion if anyone had the time.

Didn’t know if I could put in some elbow grease and get a MM16 for around $1300 on a best offer or am I just better off spending the $2000 on a new Laguna.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Are you close enough to go see it in person? It looks like it's in ok shape but I wouldn't touch it sight unseen for that price. MiniMax parts are very dear (tires are over $100 each); you'll want to know exactly what you may need before you figure out an offer.

I would walk away from this sale. The MM does not fit the seller's buying or selling history, almost all of which is as a buyer.

The first photo appears to be a stock photo and does not show the extremely rusted condition of the actual machine, which seems to have been stored outdoors.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

I can't tell you what to buy but will say that I've seen way worse. I don't believe it was stored outdoors. Probably just in a non-climate controlled area and the original owner never took protective steps like waxing or oiling the various cast iron surfaces. Looks like an estate sale find. The tires are probably fine, by the way; the one thing on the machine that actually doesn't rust. You could pop them off, clean them, wire-brush the rusty areas on the wheels and then pop the tires back on. Not sure if you are local but I would want to hear the motor run. That would be the only thing that would "not" make the price a bargain. In other words, if you had to replace the motor, then it's not a good deal. I would want to listen to the motor run and make sure there wasn't any bearing noise. Best of luck with your search.

Erik

Looks like nothing but surface rust.

Blog Entries
    I have to ask, is your hobby woodworking or tool re-building?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hollingsworth View Post
    Looks like nothing but surface rust.
    Looks like a POS.

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    Looks like a POS.
    If its complete (it looks to be) and it runs I would give $1000 for it in a heartbeat. 4-6 hours of dirty work and I could flip it where I live for $2k.

I bought my mint condition Agazzani 20" with mobile base for ~$1600.