Thread: Advice on King 1.5 HP Cyclone Dust Collector?

Advice on King 1.5 HP Cyclone Dust Collector?

I am thinking of moving to a cyclone dust collector. This is the only model that seems to run on a 15 amp circuit and that is available in Canada is the King Industrial KC-6150C. Does anyone have this model? It seems to be very similar to a Jet model--possibly made in the same factory overseas somewhere.
    This cyclone will be moved from machine to machine in a one-person hobby woodworking shop with limited electrical capacity. I liked the dual 4 inch port, the relatively small footprint, and the low decibel sound rating.
    I have been very hesitant to buy King Industrial products, though frankly, I have not had any actual experience with their products. I also considered the Oneida and the new Laguna C/Flux, bit unfortunately they require a 20 amp circuit.
    I currently have a 1 stage 1 hp General dust collector, but it clogged up badly when I used the jointer, so I decided an upgrade might be worthwhile.
    Any advice or comments on this subject would be welcome.

Irene, welcome to the forum.

Your question in general is very similar to another thread that started a couple of days ago here http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...dust-collector

Smaller DCs can work especially when moved from machine to machine. The trick to getting the max out of them is to not choke them up with a long length of flex hose, especially the smaller diameters like 4 inch. I ran a 1.5HP single stage DC which I turned into a cyclone collector by adding a Super Dust Deputy from Oneida and a better filter from Wynn Environmental. This worked very well in terms of separation, but in order to get enough air flow over a 20ft length, I used 6 inch steel duct and only reduced this to 4 inch at the last few feet with flex. I would also recommend not using the dual 4 inch port for the same reasons - you're basically throttling the airflow and not giving the DC a chance

Irene,

There is also another relevant thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...one-equivalent that talks about cyclone similarities. Here is a link to an old review of single stage DCs http://www.portercable.com/uploads/P...Collectors.pdf. In the chart on page 67 you will see your 1HP at the bottom and the 1.5HP units above. That shows a significant increase in flow that should correct (or greatly improve) your clogging issue. I had a Jet 1100 that I used on my planer without issue. Unfortunately, I did not like the interruption to my work flow by having to move the DC from tool to tool and found I did not use it every time I turned on a tool. And then it was even less and less often. So I got rid of that unit and am looking at hard piping a 3HP unit (TBD) in my small shop this winter.

Hope this helps. Let us know what you do.

Carl

I used a 1.5 HP Jet Vortex for a long time and worked OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Irene Browning View Post
    I am thinking of moving to a cyclone dust collector. This is the only model that seems to run on a 15 amp circuit and that is available in Canada is the King Industrial KC-6150C. Does anyone have this model? It seems to be very similar to a Jet model--possibly made in the same factory overseas somewhere.
    This cyclone will be moved from machine to machine in a one-person hobby woodworking shop with limited electrical capacity. I liked the dual 4 inch port, the relatively small footprint, and the low decibel sound rating.
    I have been very hesitant to buy King Industrial products, though frankly, I have not had any actual experience with their products. I also considered the Oneida and the new Laguna C/Flux, bit unfortunately they require a 20 amp circuit.
    I currently have a 1 stage 1 hp General dust collector, but it clogged up badly when I used the jointer, so I decided an upgrade might be worthwhile.
    Any advice or comments on this subject would be welcome.
    Can you not get Oneida in Canada? I have a 1.5 HP Mini Gorilla that I run off of a 15A circuit all the time with a fan, charger and stereo hooked up to it as well.

I had the 3hp version for a short time. Went back to 2hp single stage with SDD. Short cone on these, and on all similar clones, are very poor at separation. New Laguna versions with longer cone appear to be much better.
    Mike

The Laguna requires a 30 amp circuit, not 20. The motor is rated at 18.8 amps and the manual stated that a 30 amp minimum circuit was required. I am in the process of putting in a dedicated 30 amp circuit for the Laguna Pflux 1 that is scheduled for delivery in 2 days. I am upgrading from the hf unit which I had considered modding to a 2 stage with a Wynn filter. When I decided to purchase a new dc, it was between the Oneida Mini Gorilla and the Laguna Pflux1, and the Laguna ticked more boxes for me. The hf served me well and I never clogged it up running my 8" jointer or 15" planer but I finally got tired of messing with that plastic bag and it spewing dust from the cloth bag. Good luck in your search