Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Black powder pistols

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Ellis View Post
    I don't know for sure the validity of this statement as I'm not a gun owner nor have any desire to ever be one, but heard or read somewhere that black powder firearms don't require the same registration or licensing as the modern firearms.
    Yes, that's another reason why I like them.
    I was once a woodworker, I still am I'm just saying that I once was.

Chop your own wood, it will warm you twice. -Henry Ford

Point to remember. Just because theres no back ground check or registration to own one. Its still Illegal in most places to own one if your a felon.If you can't legally own a regular hand gun you most likely can't have a black powder revolver either. There are a few exceptions.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

There's no federal prohibition against a felon owning or being in possession of a black powder arm.
    The BATFE treats them as a non-gun.

That does not mean there are no state or local laws that prohibit it.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

I'm not a felon, so that ain't a problem anyway. I think I'll still get a BP pistol along with a modern one. Heck, I'm a Neander anyway. I've got a shop full of antique tools, why not an antique gun. An 1860 .44 Army Colt was a horse pistol(they occasionally had to aim for the horse too bring someone down) and if it'll get a horse, I wouldn't want to get shot by it. But, like I said, I'll get a more modern pistol too. Thanks again everybody!
    I was once a woodworker, I still am I'm just saying that I once was.

Chop your own wood, it will warm you twice. -Henry Ford

I've heard that the black powder was so slow that some could avoid being hit by simply side stepping after opponent pulled trigger. But I think the Code Duello calls that unsportsmanlike conduct.

I'm not a felon, so that ain't a problem anyway
    It does however - give you more options - such as buying online & mail order- as long as it's black powder & there's no local laws against it.
    Cabela's has a great selection of BP revolvers & the price is decent.

For modern - no mail order but online can be shipped to a local FFL (Federal Firearm Licence) holder (gun store). Most charge around $25 to handle the transfer.

BTW - -what you said up above about the horse.
    Yes, the .36 was effective against men, but, out on the range, the .44 was more effective against a horse.

if you believe that I'll let you try.I'll put you out at 100 yards, when you see the flash side step problem is you will already be hit and down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    I've heard that the black powder was so slow that some could avoid being hit by simply side stepping after opponent pulled trigger. But I think the Code Duello calls that unsportsmanlike conduct.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Bert,

I own a Hopkins and Allen 45 caliber under hammer pistol. I won't bet on it but I expect even an old man could step aside quick enough to avoid the bullet from 50 yards. You can literally see the bullet leave the barrel and watch it along its path using 25 grains. I also have a 50 caliber Hawkins rifle, that's a whole different story My problem is that even with a loading block I'm so slow reloading neither gun is suitable for anything but target shooting

I solved the problem though, a few months ago I purchased a new Henry Big Boy 44 magnum rifle.

No recommendation on black powder, but if you decide to look at modern handguns in revolvers a S&W 686 or in semi-autos a Glock 19 would be a good starting point.

I hear you,Bert. But that's what some of the old accounts say. Perhaps the modern stuff is faster, I don't think there is any demand among enthusiasts for BAD authenticity.

I'm just sayin that many muzzle loaders get off at 800 fps or more that gives you about 1/3rd of a second to move
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Bert,

I own a Hopkins and Allen 45 caliber under hammer pistol. I won't bet on it but I expect even an old man could step aside quick enough to avoid the bullet from 50 yards. You can literally see the bullet leave the barrel and watch it along its path using 25 grains. I also have a 50 caliber Hawkins rifle, that's a whole different story My problem is that even with a loading block I'm so slow reloading neither gun is suitable for anything but target shooting

I solved the problem though, a few months ago I purchased a new Henry Big Boy 44 magnum rifle.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I'm just sayin that many muzzle loaders get off at 800 fps or more that gives you about 1/3rd of a second to move
    About 800 fps is the same velocity as the 158 grain, .38 special & the 230 grain .45 acp - both modern smokless rounds.

The "stepping aside" mentioned above refers to the locktime of - a flintlock & standing sideways to a shooter was the accepted way of dueling.
    Flintlocks have a very slow lock time compared to a modern center fire or rimfire cartridge.

A percussion cap is also magnitudes faster than a flintlock.

Quote Originally Posted by julian abram View Post
    No recommendation on black powder, but if you decide to look at modern handguns in revolvers a S&W 686 or in semi-autos a Glock 19 would be a good starting point.
    This is off subject, but for those who like revolvers, my question is why do you favor them over the semi-automatics?

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    This is off subject, but for those who like revolvers, my question is why do you favor them over the semi-automatics?

Mike
    A revolver doesn't leave any evidence behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post

Mike
    Certain rounds aren't normally chambered in semi-autos. .357 magnum and maximum, .44 magnum, .41 magnum. Usually anything with a rim isn't chambered in a semi-auto because of the stacking in the magazine.

Another reason would be that you can shoot a revolver in single pull or double pull mode. Single pull would be when you pull the hammer back,"cocking", the firearm. This reduces the amount of trigger pull required to discharge the arm. If you're shooting in double pull the squeezing of the trigger retracts the hammer and releases it, but it takes much more force because you're using the trigger to "cock" the firearm.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation