Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lathe Opinions requested

Lathe Opinions requested

So I'm embarking on an extended period of insane long hours at work in order to feed/upgrade my addiction. I am currently turning on a Jet 1236 and I am going to upgrade to a new lathe. I'm debating between the One-way 2436 with 3HP, the American Beauty, and a Powermatic 4224b. The 4224b appears to be full of useful features, i.e. integrated vacuum system, including 96 position indexing wheel, etc. However it is apparently made in China which makes me a little uneasy. I have no experience with the American Beauty, and I have turned on the Oneway and was very pleased with it. I turn just about everything from small bowls to large spindles. Opinions please!!
    Through art we see the beauty within the common....

There would be no contest for me with those three choices. I like cast iron. My Powermatic has worked flawlessly for ten years. You stated that you turned on a Oneway so it appears a steel lathe does not bother you so any choice of those three will be a good choice for you.

I turned on a PM 3520 for about 2 years then about 5 months ago I received my Robust AB. They both turn wood but I sure like the AB and all the features. I turn mostly green wood and the stainless ways are very nice. The head stock is much easier to slide to the end and with the gas assisted shocks on the tail stock I do a large part of my turning standing at the end of the lathe.(my back thanks me) I like turning large bowls ( 18-23") and so far the AB has been rock solid with the feet sitting on top of the concrete floor.

I had to get used to the non digital readout but now it's not problem, I just pay more attention to the piece I am turning in regards to how fast I want it to turn.

have fun choosing your next lathe

If you are looking for the "best", I vote for the American Beauty. It has a quality of workmanship equal to the Oneway , sliding heatstock, stainless ways and is made in America. I have not turned on a Powermatic 4224 but have turned on several 3520s and consider them good quality lathes with exceptional cost/value ratio.

You likely won't be disappointed with whichever machine you choose! I upgraded from a Jet 1221 to a 3HP American Beauty and am pretty happy with it. To me its only downside is that it doesn't weigh as much as the other machines in its class.

I owned a PM 3520 for several years; I have no experience with a 4224. The 3520 was good, but I found the shape of the headstock got in the way for some types of things I turn. The profile of the headstock on both the Oneway and Robust doesn't have this problem. After using a Robust for a week in an Arrowmont class, I bought an American Beauty, because I consider a movable headstock essential.

Well, for me it came down to the sliding headstock. Had to have one. The Oneway is a great lathe, and you can turn off the outboard end so you don't have to bend over or extend your arms way out to turn bowls. I have an American Beauty. The PM is a good lathe as well. Only difference I can tell between the steel and iron beds is that they make different noises. The pivoting headstock was never a consideration because they all seemed to need a lot of adjusting to get them to line up again after you pivot. Then I saw the Vicmark..... They do the pivoting head stock right. Built like a tank, and precise stops. The Vic would be my only other consideration.

robo hippy

Full disclosure, I've never turned on any of those three though I've also considered getting either of those. From everything I've read and heard from others, all three are excellent machines and would likely serve you quite well, but here's my question, are you sure you need either of those? As I said, I've considered upgrading from my NOVA DVR XP several times when used lathes of those three (and a Vicmarc) became available. Mostly because I thought I need one more than want one. Recently, however, in preparing for my fall inventory I did some very large 16" diameter salad bowls from white oak and though these were easily the largest pieces I'd ever turned...they were also the only pieces I'd ever turned that 'strained' the capabilities of my lathe. Far be it from me to stand in the way of a brother who wants to drop money on a new 'toy', I've been there many times. But as you said in your opening statement...you do only small bowls and spindles, are you planning on doing much bigger things and how often do you think you'd be doing them? My recent experience with the larger pieces has left me now knowing that a change to a bigger lathe, relative to how frequently I'd need either that power and mass, in the category of a want rather than a need. Just two cents to consider...

Howdy,

I'm with John.. The money would better spent on a Jet and pad your 401k with the rest. You are going too need it in the future.

I try to adhere to the slogan, "Buy the best and you only cry once". If it was me, I'd go with the American Beauty.

As Reed Gray mentioned, don't rule out a Vicmarc. The top of the line one I saw at Woodworkers Emporium in Las Vegas was probably the nicest piece of woodturning machinery I've seen with the exception of a Oneway. Both are top notch. The AB I saw at the same time was disappointingly less appealing.

Not long ago there was someone on the left coast, Santa Barbara as I recall, that was selling a really nice Vicmarc that looked almost new. The price was right too.

To satisfy my curiosity about the used Vicmarc mentioned above I tried to find it again but came up with this one instead. The OP might find it interesting.
    https://slo.craigslist.org/tls/d/lat...261612626.html

PS I have no connection with the seller.

I would throw into the mix the Laguna Revo 1836 - a fine lathe and less expensive than any of your other options. With the 20" bed extension, you could do both large/long spindles and with the extension remounted low have a 32" swing off the end of the lathe. The best of all worlds in my humble opinion and with the bed extension (comes with the tool rest extension and tailstock riser) just over half the cost of your least expensive option (Oneway 2436.) Moving the bed extension is a simple task that can be accomplished in 20-30 minutes, including alignment.

The Vicmarc Steve mentions is a lot of lathe, as well, but Indianapolis to California would be a bit much for me to travel for a used lathe.
    Last edited by John Keeton; 08-20-2017 at 2:25 PM.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post

The Vicmarc Steve mentions is a lot of lathe, as well, but Indianapolis to California would be a bit much for me to travel for a used lathe.
    You are correct John. Travelling from Indianapolis to California to pick up a lathe is a bit much but all of these machines were initially shipped from their manufacturer. The Vicmarc originally coming from Australia. So, having it shipped again shouldn't present too much of a problem, especially considering the savings from the cost of a new machine. The one shown in the link doesn't look like it's even been used. Frankly I don't know why it hasn't been purchased yet.

Let's see.... do I want a jaguar, a bentley, or a Mercedes S-class..... all are more than most people "need" and it's hard to make a wrong decision. Congrats on being in an enviable position!

With the upcoming replacement of the venerable 3520b, you can get a very good deal on them right now... the last version of the 3520b has a sliding headstock and is built in Taiwan. You can turn something like 36" outboard on the thing. The money saved would outfit you with all the chucks, tools and faceplates etc. I'm confident the 4224 is also made in Taiwan but can't be 100% sure without making a phone call. When I was buying (last year) I didn't see the value in the added cost of the 4224, but you may see things differently.

the new 3520c has adjustable height and a more conical headstock for greater access (like the AB and the Laguna) when turning "behind" the piece.

ive never understood why having stainless steel ways is a big deal... I keep my ways well lubricated with oil and haven't had any rust issues on any of my machines. I turn over 100 fresh cut, wet logs a year. Cast iron is the way to go in my opinion, but some people like shinier stuff. Nothing wrong with that.

Based on my personal experience, I would (and did) go with the powermatic.