Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lathe Opinions requested

A little expansion. Occasionally I turn pieces such staircase components for per who need a couple for their old home restoration. I have been in the past asked about turning load hearing columns or column wraps that are up to 96 inches long. So, I would like to have the option to upgrade to that capacity down the road. Currently I turn for pleasure and occasional small orders as mentioned above, however I would like to replace one of my 2 jobs in the future with turning in the next 5 years. There is an adequate market here for the type of turning I want to do, already researched it and talked to the targeted client base.

I went through a similar 'choice' process about 5 years ago with simlar options. The best advice I can give you is to take the time to search out owners of the contestants and get some time turning on each one before making a decision. Ergonomics are important - you're likely to be using this thing for a very long time. I was able to search out owners of all the lathes that allowed me to spend some time on them. I contacted the distributors and asked for local owners to contact. those that didn't want to help branded themselves less than interested in customer service. You're planning on dropping a bundle here, better be happy with the company that's going to get most of it.
    At the end, I went with the Robust and have been very happy with the decision. It really suits the way I turn and makes my time on the lathe a joy. Brent is great to deal with, it's built in the USA, and its got the best warranty in the business.

For me personally there's no question I'd get the AB
    I've had a powermatic 3520b for a number of years now it's done everything I've asked of it including turning wet logs weighing near 400lbs with no problems. I've turned on several different One Way's & they were nice but I found the control arm awkward to me. That said I have also logged well several hundred hours on a friends American Beauty turning wet logs as large 600 lbs. It's not bolted to the floor & it didn't move at all, it's a incredibly stable machine. Robust warranty and service is hard to beat as well

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Meirhaeghe View Post
    ... One Way's & they were nice but I found the control arm awkward to me...
    Yes, the swinging control arm takes some getting used to but after awhile you begin to see the merits of the design, especially after it's setup properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Solodow View Post
    A little expansion. Occasionally I turn pieces such staircase components for per who need a couple for their old home restoration. I have been in the past asked about turning load hearing columns or column wraps that are up to 96 inches long. So, I would like to have the option to upgrade to that capacity down the road.
    The Laguna Revo 1836 mentioned by John Keeton above (and now the 2436) has that ability to extend by adding additional leg sets, beds and extensions. See the Laguna setup video #10 - near the end at about 13 1/2 minutes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdsI...Lz25r&index=10

Also, John provides a very good review here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...guna-Revo-1836

As said earlier, you can't go wrong with any of your candidate lathes!

Ely