Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Museum Quality 45* Acrylic Joints

Kev, they are don't with a diamond tipped fly cutter on these specialty machines....

http://www.edgefinisher.com/polishers.html

They come off the machine VERY VERY VERY clear. I have a pile of parts here that were cut on one. They look amazing.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Nothing like machines actually made for the job!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sheldrake View Post
    Cut with a saw
    Mitred with a router
    Edge Polished with a diamond polisher
    Glued with UV reactive glue in a vacuum chamber

Expensive to do
    I have access to all but the vacuum chamber and polisher. However my a few of my suppliers will cut to size and diamond polish if required. Just need to find or make a Vacuum chamber!

Thanks for sharing...
    Darren Wilson

Tool Control Solutions

Gerber Syst. 48 CNC Router
    Epilog 36EXT
    MAX MPS-20 Galvo 20w MOPA Fiber
    Roland LEF-200 UV Printer
    Wisely/JPT 60W MOPA

EF-200 polisher is over 10k new.

I've seen used one for sale locally not long age for 5K asking price but since I don't do much of that type of service I passed on it.

See if you can locate one on ebay or CL.
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 60w, with Quatro CSA-626 fume extraction
    Xenetech 1625 x2,
    New Hermes TX pantograph, CG4 cutter grinder
    Brady Globalmark2 label printer,
    Assortment of custom tooling , shears & punches, heat bender.
    Software: Xenetech XOT, Corel X3, Bartender label software

There are some smaller one's Scotty, for flat edges they start at about $7k but the one used to do that award block was $40k. The cutters are really expensive 6 tip diamond, decent one was £2k, any sign of a chip and it throws the balance out leaving a rubbish surface or ripples
    You did what !

Diamond edge polishers are definitely nice. Darren, - I have done bubble free mitered edges (cast acrylic, no heat when machining, etc), but the labor is insane. I used 2 part from a double tube cartridge so it was bubble free coming right out the spout, and used the taped edge method to then "fold" the miters together. The hard part is reaching inside the box to scrape off the squeeze out prior to demasking (gotta leave masking on, which is tough, because you want to see the bubble-free joint get filled adequately). If I were to do it again, I would use clear PET tape (packaging tape) on the outside faces at the miters. The other hard part is gravity stresses or other stresses like diagonal clamps for squaring, which can ruin and open a bubble-free joint, hence the 46 degree miters to allow adhesive flow.
    john.blazy_dichrolam_llc
    Delta Unisaw, Rabbit QX-80-1290 80W Laser, 5 x 12 ft laminating ovens, Powermax 22/44, Accuspray guns, Covington diamond lap and the usual assortment of cool toys / tools.

Why don't we have a thumbs up feature on this forum??? You deserve some for that.
    Chinese 6040 by NiceCut. Originally 60 Watt upgraded to 150 Watt.....I thought I had pretty much every problem in the book of laser cutting. It turns out that there is a set of books.

Hi John, Thanks for the reply. Which 2 part adhesive did you use?
    Darren Wilson

Tool Control Solutions

Gerber Syst. 48 CNC Router
    Epilog 36EXT
    MAX MPS-20 Galvo 20w MOPA Fiber
    Roland LEF-200 UV Printer
    Wisely/JPT 60W MOPA

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wilson View Post
    Hi John, Thanks for the reply. Which 2 part adhesive did you use?
    Acryfix Versatile. order online at acryliteshop dot com. Sorry, forgot about the mix nozzle stuff. I got that from McMaster - Weld-on 42 I think, which now is ISP. The gun is pricey, but now I have the gun.
    Last edited by John Blazy; 09-26-2017 at 4:00 PM.
    john.blazy_dichrolam_llc
    Delta Unisaw, Rabbit QX-80-1290 80W Laser, 5 x 12 ft laminating ovens, Powermax 22/44, Accuspray guns, Covington diamond lap and the usual assortment of cool toys / tools.