Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Museum Quality 45* Acrylic Joints

Museum Quality 45* Acrylic Joints

Hello Creekers,
    I had a project making and engraving two acrylic book slipcases from 4.5mm clear acrylic. The internal dimensions were 311x320x36mm with an open end 311x36mm and some text engraved on one of the large panels. So far so good… however they also stipulated optically clear 100% defect free joints using 45* mitred edges. Challenge accepted.
    I laid out the flat pattern and cut the acrylic with a 45 Vbit on the CNC router, made an extra just in case. Collected my panels made some 45* sanding blocks from 15mm MDF and cleaned up the all the edges with 320 to 800grit. Satisfied my edges were smooth and straight, cut some assembly jigs from acrylic on the laser and proceeded to fail miserably assembling the cases.
    I could get almost perfect edges on part of the joins, before fifth side was in in place, but when trying to join the 5th panel, I could not get my hand/applicator in to reach joins, so I tried to let the solvent run along the edges and capillary itself into the joint, no good. Next box I tried form the outside of box. this just made a mess and has solvent glue dripping along panels…Fail
    I tried again this time trying the taped hinge method, while this looked quite easy in the YouTube video and for the most part was easy the edges were far from bubble free.
    Now I’m on the phone, talking to local acrylic suppliers/mfg’s asking how they do it. In short the answer was we don’t/can’t do 45* museum quality edges, but one suggested it could be done using UV glue. So $130 and two days later a couple of 50ml bottles of UV glue arrive, one water thin and the other similar to light oil. I cut out 3 more boxes and once again proceeded to fail miserably.
    Dead line looming, I tried to pull a sneaky and deliver a box with butt edges using the UV glue. The joints were perfect with the slightest fillet along the joints of fifth panel where I had to let the glue drip along the join from the open end. The customer was impressed, but rejected the job due to not having 45* mitred joints.
    Has anyone been able to achieve a 45* mitre edge joint that is museum quality ( bubble free, optically clear ) on a box of this size with only assembled opening measuring 36x311mm? IF so would you mind sharing how you were able to accomplish this feat of acrylic mastery?
    Many thanks in advance.
    Darren Wilson

Tool Control Solutions

Gerber Syst. 48 CNC Router
    Epilog 36EXT
    MAX MPS-20 Galvo 20w MOPA Fiber
    Roland LEF-200 UV Printer
    Wisely/JPT 60W MOPA

Why does it matter to them, if it's optically clear, whether it's a 45 or a 90 degree joint?
    It sounds like the person placing the order is either being enjoyably controlling, or has no realistic idea.

PS, sometimes, an 89 degree Vee, joined, works better- but it means you need to alter your router bit...
    Best wishes,
    Ian

ULS M-300, 55w made 2002 with rotary. Goldenlaser 130 watt, 1300x700 made 2011.
    Flat bed 2500x1300 150/90watt 2 tube laser, 2018 model.
    Esab router, 1989, 4.5 x 2.0 m, conv. to Tekcel, and modded a 2nd time.
    HP L260-60". Roland PNC-1410. Mimaki GC-130 SU.
    Screenprinting carousel 6x4 and 7x4 ft 1-arm bandit vac table.
    Corel Draw X3, Illy, Indesign & Photoshop CS2 & CS5, Enroute 4
    Pencil, paper, paintbrush, airbrush & dagger-liners & assorted other stuff.

Blog Entries
    If it were me, I'd make up an identical small end out of wood, mdf, that I could place on table with the miters up. Glue the other four parts to get a fit to insure all four sides of my end piece would fit and match up. Let cure, and then with the acrylic part in same position with the miters up, run the solvent along all four of the. Sides and place the 'tube' on it and let cure. The only way I can see making it work. I think it is a fools errand to required optical clear corners.why? No on is going to look thru corners. Thanks should be presentable, nothing more.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

I worked at a plastics fab and it can be done. Takes lots of pratice. And we also used a special mixture of weldon and another chemical. Also a custom jig. The angles cant be 45 for the e best success. They have to be about 46 degrees to make it work. I hate to say it but it is very hard. I was ok at it will the custom jig. Getting bubble free but joints is way easier. I wish you luck. It may not be worth it. To many attemps and you will be losing money. But it is possible with the right experience , jigs and chemicals.

Yes, pretty easily but requires a lot of kit

glasslook2.jpg
    You did what !

Yow on the UV glue-- I've been using Superglue glass glue, it's relatively cheap, works, and just uses sunlight to cure.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Hello Ian,

The slip case is for a book created for a gentleman's 50th birthday... apparently they paid a large sum just to design it, and then again to print it. So they wanted a case worthy of the book. The head of the design firm saw some boxes with mitred corners at a museum and that is what he wanted for the project. They had some made and were not happy, I do engraving for the firm from time to time and they asked me if I wanted to have a shot. These are my boxes...
    2017-08-15 23.24.44.jpg2017-08-15 23.27.57.jpg2017-08-15 23.28.21.jpg
    Darren Wilson

Tool Control Solutions

Epilog 36EXT
    Wisely/JPT 60W MOPA

Hi John, I like that approach I may have a crack doing that way. The firm has gone with another vendor, which incrementally told me it could not be done, but I for my own satisfaction want to see IF I can accomplish it.
    Darren Wilson

Tool Control Solutions

Epilog 36EXT
    Wisely/JPT 60W MOPA

Hello Clark, can you expand a bit on the custom jig? I basically cut some 90* jigs from acrylic on the laser that held everything in place. At 46* this would leave a small gap at the outside edge, so were you applying the solvent adhesive mix form the outside of the box? With the UV2046 glue which is a bit like light oil this may work.
    Darren Wilson

Tool Control Solutions

Epilog 36EXT
    Wisely/JPT 60W MOPA

Hi Dave,

Are those 45* mitre? Look like but joints hard to tell sometimes from pictures. I like the green edged acrylic, found some with a blueish edge can't wait to use it for something. Can you expand on your method?
    Darren Wilson

Tool Control Solutions

Epilog 36EXT
    Wisely/JPT 60W MOPA

Hi Kev,

I'm sure the UV gear is not anywhere near that price back home. Here in AU we take it in the shorts for everything. I had to buy from AU supplier due to time constraints, but found some on ebay from Asia at about quarter of the price. It's pretty cool stuff, you have plenty of time to make any adjustments etc, as it doesn't cure till hit with UV and the it bonds instantly.
    Darren Wilson

Tool Control Solutions

Epilog 36EXT
    Wisely/JPT 60W MOPA

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wilson View Post
    Hi Dave,

Are those 45* mitre? Look like but joints hard to tell sometimes from pictures. I like the green edged acrylic, found some with a blueish edge can't wait to use it for something. Can you expand on your method?
    Cut with a saw
    Mitred with a router
    Edge Polished with a diamond polisher
    Glued with UV reactive glue in a vacuum chamber

Expensive to do
    You did what !

Done with the same polisher

polish2.jpg
    You did what !

Dave, you ever found inexpensive edge polishers in your travels that worked well?
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I've never been able to polish any type of acrylic and have it come out decent- If I were to polish a mitered edge, the sharp edges would be rounded off, the flat edge would be anything but

Not long ago I was looking into what goes into glass shaping and polishing-- I'm thinking one of those wet turntables with some mighty fine abrasive would be the ticket for polishing a mitered edge piece of plex... ?
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle