Thread: Krenov style block plane

Krenov style block plane

First try at making a plane. 2"x2"x6" American Elm with a Hock blade to go with my Elm mallet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks nice! Love the elm!

My first one was also Krenov style too - I used the Lee Valley kit. Krenov style is a great way to get the hang of it and convince yourself you really can do this, and that it will work.

How's she cut? At what angle did you bed the iron - it looks very steep and I was wondering why? Maybe you work in highly figured woods?

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Looks nice! Love the elm!

My first one was also Krenov style too - I used the Lee Valley kit. Krenov style is a great way to get the hang of it and convince yourself you really can do this, and that it will work.

How's she cut? At what angle did you bed the iron - it looks very steep and I was wondering why? Maybe you work in highly figured woods?

Fred
    it was easier than I thought. I used a 45 deg bed because I eyeballed my dad's old wood block plane. It cuts great, way better than I thought it would. It's already become my go to block plane. It is cutting a bit thick (0.010") but I'm not very good at adjusting it yet. I'm already thinking about the next one and maybe making my own iron out of 1080 or O1. Any suggestions?

Bill,
    I believe that 1080 steel is not suitable for irons. I hope that other members can shed a more factual light on it. On the other hand, O1 is a 'standard' choice. I cut some (had them commercially heat treated - not competent for the time being) that were 1/4" thick. For me, it was overkill. My next batch was with 3/16" stock. Have a look at Hock irons with chipbreakers. I have some and am very satisfied with the.
    Best wishes,
    Metod

Quote Originally Posted by Metod Alif View Post
    Bill,
    I believe that 1080 steel is not suitable for irons.
    Hmmm... guess I'll skip buying that chunk of 1080 then - thx