Thread: Craigslist gloat = RUST!

Craigslist gloat = RUST!

I found a CL post for "Vintage Woodworking Tools" which got my immediate attention. And it was only a couple miles away, and it was $50 per machine! They had posted terrible pictures and there was some obvious rust, with a picture of the old Grizzly badge - not exactly the vintage I prefer but I took a look anyway. Ended up bringing home a Grizzly 1 1/2 hp shaper along with about 20 cutters, all covered in rust, for the handsome sum of $75. Obviously it'll take some extensive de-rusting but I though it was worth the shot. The shaoer itself seems like it will operate just fine and the motor spins smoothly.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Man, that's a great find! Good for you!

New Duck!!!!!!!

Wow, the cutters look like a nice haul. Hopefully the bores dont open up too much with cleaning/evaporust. It would stink to have to re-bore or bush all those cutters. Looks like some nice brazed tooling
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 08-23-2017 at 9:25 PM.

Looks like maybe it set in a flooded basement or just in standing water.Either way I would also jump on a deal that good,little TLC it be back running again.

Quote Originally Posted by Carroll Courtney View Post
    Looks like maybe it set in a flooded basement or just in standing water.
    That's what I was thinking...that much/kind of rust appears to be from immersion. That said, hopefully a lot of "elbow grease" will get things cleaned up and working well, especially for that investment!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Mark? By opening the bore from evaporust, you just mean by loosing a hair of the diameter to corrosion, and the evaporust would take it off, right?

Carroll - the shaper came out of a barn where it sat for decades likely, I'm guessing with a leaky roof. The back of the machine is quite clean (compared to the front), and the motor looks very good. The tooling likely was in a very humid basement and possibly on the ground, where it was wet enough that a pile of wood had rotted to dirt it was there so long. Sounds like the previous owner was a bit of a hoarder and in his old age let everything go.

I just bought another gallon of evaporust so its full strength. Does anyone clean or filter their evaporust after a while? It gets pretty gross after a while. I think it says it's good for 300lbs of metal, which is quite a lot piece by piece.

I spent some time this evening going through the tooling, and there must be at least 40 pieces that have carbide on them. And about half of them still had (what's left of) the wax coating on the carbide.

I put one cutter in the evapo-bath last night and cleaned it up today and the results are promising. Before and after below.

I've got two baths of the rest of the cutters going now and we'll see what it looks like in the morning.

Last thing I did was test the shaper, and it fired up and ran quite smooth! I'll give the motor a once over and check bearings when I go through the machine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have that same shaper and I have mine where it is hard to get in from behind. I cut a 6x6 hole in the left side so I can reach in with a wrench to unbolt the spindle. when I want to switch the arbor.
    Bill D.

There is a little rollpin or setscrew. that acts as a drive key in the arbor female taper. remove that pin since it serves no useful purpose and if you spin the taper it will muck up the male taper and then it gets very hard to remove. When the male taper gets scared it may take out the female one with it. The only purpose of that pin is to lock things from turning when you tighten the nut below. but if you have a wrench top and bottom it is not needed.
    Bill

Matt,
    Yes. Hopefully the rust isn't so deep that your bores become sloppy. I've seen a lot of machine tools (metal lathe chucks and so on) be cleaned and be ok so hopefully there will be no issue. But if the rusting was so deep that it Made your bores several thousandth bigger that may give you some issues with vibration.

11. Sweet CL score!

cool find. I'f I were you, I would get a battery charger and do electrolosys. I used rebar for the anode/diode and works like a charm and no real elbow grease.

https://youtu.be/FB7DUa6LnY8

I thought about that Keith, and I have an electrolysis setup, but the though of stringing up 40+ Small pieces was enough to not do it. Plunking them in evaporust seemed like a better solution for this. Thanks for the suggestion.