Thread: Porter Cable 7518 Speed Control

Porter Cable 7518 Speed Control

I bought my PC about a year ago and used it less than an hour when the speed control malfunctioned. I sent it in for service ($35 shipping) and got it repaired. I used it again for less than an hour under light duty and it has failed again. I am interested in removing the OEM speed control and wiring up an aftermarket speed controlled. This router only gets used in a table so this would be more convenient for me. Anyone ever hot wired a router in the fashion I speak of?

If the motor will run at high speed but you just can't control the speed, then get a "router speed control" and plug the router into it. Use that to control the speed.

If the motor won't run at all because of the speed control failure, I can't tell you how to wire it so that the control is out of the circuit. I'd have to see the wiring or a wiring diagram.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Take a look at this thread for instructions on how to fix the speed controller.

http://www.routerforums.com/general-...estions-2.html

The capacitors are usually the cause of loss speed control function. Replacements can be had thru ebay for less than a buck each.

There's a load sensing function that has also failed. I am planning on deleting all the routers semi-conductors and get a speed controller.

I've been wanting to post a thread asking about router recommendations since it appears previous threads on this subject are pretty old. It sounds like I probably want to cross the PC 7518 off the list of potential candidates given these failures after just over a year of very light use. No one seems surprised or bothered by that beyond maybe the OP. Am I missing something?

PC used speed controls built by the CHEAPEST VENDOR. Quality is like buying oats. If you want nice clean fresh oats, then you are going to have to pay for them. But if you don't mind if they have already been through the horse, they are a lot cheaper.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Manning View Post
    I've been wanting to post a thread asking about router recommendations since it appears previous threads on this subject are pretty old. It sounds like I probably want to cross the PC 7518 off the list of potential candidates given these failures after just over a year of very light use. No one seems surprised or bothered by that beyond maybe the OP. Am I missing something?
    Unfortunately a frequent failure on this beast if forum threads are any indication. My Milwaukee 5625 has done nothing but run for a decade. I change speeds frequently. However, a PC 7518 of 10 years ago is probably still running without issue as well. We wanted a Wal-Mart world and we got one ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

There are a ton of these motors working in router tables forever. I assume the failures are in the new ones.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    If the motor will run at high speed but you just can't control the speed, then get a "router speed control" and plug the router into it. Use that to control the speed.

If the motor won't run at all because of the speed control failure, I can't tell you how to wire it so that the control is out of the circuit. I'd have to see the wiring or a wiring diagram.

Mike
    Just to clarify. . .If the PC7518 runs at its max speed without problem, merely and off the shelf speed control will work by merely plugging the router into that? I don't have problems with my speed control on the 7518 but would like to more easily change speeds since I have to reach under the table to get to the speed control and it's mounted inside of an under table dust collection box.

Unless you get the soft-start circuity out of the equation, you can't use an off-the-shelf router speed control with the PC7518. Unless something has changed recently with these speed controls, they don't work with that type of circuitry. You'd also need a control that can handle the higher motor load of the PC7518...many of the controls were designed for the 10-12 amp basic routers, not the "beasts".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I've owned my PC7518 motor mounted in my table for probably 5 years and have not had any problems with it. I am not a daily, heavy user, so I don't know how it would stand up to regular on the job use. I bought mine from Incra when I got my table/fence and they highly recommended it. If it does fail then I would certainly look for another brand as, with my usage, it should never fail.