Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Corner joint for porch or deck railings

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    Come on!

The head is tilted 90 degrees such that the blade is parallel to the table. The long rail is clamped to the table at 45 degrees (or whatever miter angle) to the track, and the blade is drawn through the rail end.

But you don't have room and so don't have one. So you'll have to make a jig for a Skilsaw.
    I forgot the head can rotate that way as well.

We almost always use a miter with spline, cut with a slot cutting bit. This is an ipe top cap.

Make sure the spline is cut from face grain stock and not quarter sawn!

1spline.jpg

2spline.jpg
    WoodsShop

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Wood View Post
    Make sure the spline is cut from face grain stock and not quarter sawn!
    Can you elaborate? I know what quartersawn lumber is. I've never heard face grain stock before. I have use quartersawn, riftsawn, and flatsawn to make splines. So long as the grain is perpendicular to the joint, what does it matter how the lumber is cut?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Whitesell View Post
    I think I would want a slot wider and deeper than a router slot cutter would make (emphasis on the depth).
    Something like this https://www.amazon.com/Yonico-14182-...n%3A2805197011 will cut a 1/2" deep slot. You could substitute a smaller bearing to get a slightly deeper slot. With a tight fitting spline (grain running across the joint!), there is really no need for greater depth. The slot can be started and stopped so the spline is not visible after the joint is assembled. Or if you have access to a Domino, you could use that.
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

I didn't say I didn't have one. I have a slotting bit that does 1/8" wide by 3/4" deep. The feather method andy mentioned would have a much larger spline. Being outside and a large board 2"x8", I was working on the premise of bigger = better. I'm still not convinced 3/4" depth is enough grip to last in the elements.

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    Use a handsaw if you don't have access to a RAS or don't want to use the router and clean out the slot with a chisel then cut a spline to fit. 10 minutes.

Let's recap.

Three options have been offered:

Half lap, standard miter, spline miter, and feather spline miter. I have concerns about trapping water between the two layers of the half lap and accelerating wood rot. The standard miter has it obvious problems. As for spline miter or the feather spline miter:

Use Tablesaw: Can jig a board 8+ feet long

Use RAS. Don't have one.

Use bandsaw: Table tilts wrong direction versus the direction the blade cuts

Use slotting bit. Maybe not deep enough to provide enough strength. (granted I don't know the required strength vs the strength of a 1/2" thick x 1 1/2" wide x 8" long spline)

Use hand saw: Cuts can be made, but the narrow chisels aren't long enough to clear the waste.

Any other corner joints viable that can be made on the end of 2" x 8" x 13' board?

I didn't say I didn't have one. I have a slotting bit that does 1/8" wide by 3/4" deep. The feather method andy mentioned would have a much larger spline. Being outside and a large board 2"x8", I was working on the premise of bigger = better. I'm still not convinced 3/4" depth is enough grip to last in the elements.
    Diagonal on a nominal 2x8 is about 10.5". Allow .5" at each end to conceal the spline. 9.5" long x .75" wide ~ 7 sq. in. x 2 (for both sides of spline) ~ 14 sq. in. gluing surface on each side of the joint = a ton! 1/8" is a bit thin for the spline - 1/4" or 3"8 would be better. Prime the cut ends of the miter before cutting the slots - I'd be more worried about water getting into the end grain than the spline giving way.
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by James Morgan View Post
    Diagonal on a nominal 2x8 is about 10.5". Allow .5" at each end to conceal the spline. 9.5" long x .75" wide ~ 7 sq. in. x 2 (for both sides of spline) ~ 14 sq. in. gluing surface on each side of the joint = a ton! 1/8" is a bit thin for the spline - 1/4" or 3"8 would be better. Prime the cut ends of the miter before cutting the slots - I'd be more worried about water getting into the end grain than the spline giving way.
    I am most concerned about water above the spline and between the mitered ends.

I am most concerned about water above the spline and between the mitered ends.

It's a exterior deck railing right? It's going to fail eventually . But with the spline , and sealing the end grain you'll have done as much as humanly possible. You could seal the end grain with CPES before you prime and after you cut the slots.

There's a point of practically and a time limit on all wood exterior jointry. Some place you have to find that balance.

Blog Entries
    How about a bevel and band the joint with a copper or ss strap or, SS rod driven through the joint.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 08-22-2017 at 10:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by paul girouard View Post
    you could seal the end grain with cpes before you prime and after you cut the slots.
    cpes? .

... in line with James's suggestion, you should be able to do the job with a router. You can build a jig (two sides on which the router will run) that will allow you to cut a groove to whatever depth you wish (limited by the length of the router bit) along the length of the mitre.

You will hold your board with clamps on the face of your bench and the surface of the mitre will be more or less horizontal.

How bout a dutch miter? Looks different and less material on the diagonal to shrink and open up as it dries.

I don't know if it was mentioned, but what material is your railing? PT lumber will most likely be soppy wet during install, and will a miter will open up within a few weeks even if it was cut and installed perfectly.

Having trouble attaching this pic, but here's the link from Google images...

http://freeplans.com/Resource.ashx?s...Mitered-Rabbet

cpes? .
    Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer :
    Google : The Rot Doctor , in Seattle, Washington.

• An Overview
    • Easy Instructions
    • Cure Time Chart
    • Coverage and Shelf-Life
    • Uses and Techniques:
      • For Restoring Rotted Wood
      • As a Primer
      • CPES Application
      • As a Sealant and Preservative

CPES™
    Clear Penetrating
    Epoxy Sealer

An Overview
    CPES is the leading product for treating rotted wood. Here's why: The fungus that causes dry rot retains a lot of moisture and resists the penetration of sealers and other rot treatments that cannot displace water. Also, the relatively high viscosity of most epoxy dry rot treatments prevents penetrating deep into the affected wood. In addition to alcohol, CPES™ contains other precisely measured organic solvents which act as "carriers" and take the epoxy deep into the wood and then evaporate out over a period of time. The resin is carried through the soft or bad wood and into the top layers of the solid wood to seal and form a bonding surface no other product on the market can achieve. The resins used in CPES™ are derived mostly from wood and when cured have a toughness and flexibility similar to the wood itself. To see test results of CPES™ and other epoxies marketed for wood restoration, go to our product test section.
    CPES is also an excellent primer. All wood contains moisture, as well as varying amounts of "sap". Different woods have different amounts of these which are chemically attached to the cellulose wood fibers. To obtain a good bond between the wood and a surface coating, the fibers on the surface of the wood must be strongly bonded to the coating. If not, the wood surface soaks up the liquid part of the coating and leaves the solids on top where deterioration is relatively rapid. CPES™ contains a high percentage of special solvents to displace and dissolve both the wood moisture and the sap and oils to form an enduring bond with the wood fibers.
    Are there alternative ways you can treat bad wood using cheaper epoxy resins? The answer is no, not if you want to do it right. All standard epoxy resins (including WEST) are petroleum based. They cure hard and brittle. WEST and others suggest that you can thin their resins using such things as acetone, MEK, toluene, or alcohol for greater penetration. This is true, but are you a chemist to mix the right thinners in the right proportions to carry resin through bad wood and into good wood? And when whatever you put in there evaporates, you're still left with a hard resin. It's like putting rocks in your wood. Why bother? We've done it all for you with a tested, tough, flexible wood derived resin product. You mix it 1:1, stir vigorously, and apply. It's that simple.
    Minwax makes a wood hardener which is acrylic-based. This is not epoxy, is not nearly as strong, its long-term endurance is questionable, and in our experience its penetration is spotty. The solvents tend to leave the acrylic hardener behind, and it doesn't penetrate as well as CPES™. We do not recommend it.
    What if you have resin on hand that you want to use? Will it bond with the CPES™? The answer is yes. Any epoxy or urethane resin/paint/coating will make a tight molecular bond with the CPES™. If you have resin on hand that you want to use, it'll work. It is also been suggested that you can heat a standard resin and possibly even the wood itself for greater penetration. We believe that heating polymer resins and wood is not a good idea -- for obvious reasons. It can be dangerous, the penetration will be much less than CPES™, and it will dry hard and brittle. Rocks in your wood again.

This stuff is very easy to use . . .
    CPES™ is a two-component product with the consistency of diesel fuel, mixed 1:1, part A and part B. Apply by brush, solvent-resistant roller, sprayer, or inject by syringe until wood is completely saturated and will accept no more epoxy. Allow approximately 1-3 days for solvents to evaporate before applying paints, urethanes, varnishes, Fill-It™ Epoxy Filler or regular epoxy resin (see cure time chart below). Unmixed CPES, kept in closed cans and at above freezing temperatures, has a shelf life of over 5 years.
    NOTE: Use disposable natural-bristle brushes (Foam brushes melt). For an excellent syringe, order Dr. Rot's CPES Injection Kit which also includes everything you'll need for the injection method. Spray bottles w/funnels are also available.