Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Corner joint for porch or deck railings

Use the slotting bit you already have and make 3 or 4 passes to get to 3/8 or 1/2".

I opted for the spline miter joint. I couldn't find a slot cutting bit with a long enough shaft or a deep enough cut. The cut was from 1/2" to 1" from the router base and was to be 3/4" deep. I ended up using a 1/2" spiral upcut bit in a 2 1/4HP router with an edge guide (what a monstrous rig).

I'd never slot & join anything like that for a deck railing.
    It's a deck - not fine furniture & it's in the nasty New England weather, not sunny Southern California.

I'd miter it with a handsaw or circular saw & use a mending plate on the underside leaving a small gap for water to drain away- and slop a ton of clear preservative on the cut miters.
    Since it's all done, try to give us a shout about how it holds up.
    I'd be curious.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    I'd be curious.
    Yeah me too. The miter ends were coated in epoxy, the splines epoxied in, and the gaps filled with epoxy. I'm curious as well. Luckily the wood cost me very little money, and a whole lot of time (jointing, planing, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    I'd never slot & join anything like that for a deck railing.
    It's a deck - not fine furniture & it's in the nasty New England weather, not sunny Southern California.

I'd miter it with a handsaw or circular saw & use a mending plate on the underside leaving a small gap for water to drain away- and slop a ton of clear preservative on the cut miters.
    I'd be curious.
    Agreed. I'd rather my deck railing be easily repairable.