Thread: Japanese Style Tool Box

Japanese Style Tool Box

The vise screw for the portable work bench is scheduled for delivery sometime tomorrow. While waiting for the screw I'm putting together a Japanese style tool box to transport the needed tools. That may make carrying around a work bench worthwhile or maybe not.....

It is a simple build, I'm sure I'm making it more complex than needed but that is the Western way . I cheated and dug out and blew all the dust off the old biscuit joiner. BTW, it took a couple of minutes of butt scratching to remember how to use it. Finally figured it out and used it for the end butt joints. The cut nails should add a little to the strength but I suspect they will be more decorative than anything else.

japaneseToolBox.jpg

I'll tongue and grove the bottom slats if time permits.

I have not decided on a sliding tray or not, right now I'm leaning toward yes.

Labor Day is barreling done on us and I have no days off before we leave for Oregon.

ken

shunned because of a biscuit joiner, tsk tsk.

Maybe hand-spliced manila becket handles will redeem you.

Nice box, but might be kind of heavy as you age -maybe put some wheels on one end?

thanks for sharing,
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Andersson View Post
    shunned because of a biscuit joiner, tsk tsk.

Maybe hand-spliced manila becket handles will redeem you.

Nice box, but might be kind of heavy as you age -maybe put some wheels on one end?

thanks for sharing,
    Karl
    Kari,

I know and hang my head in shame but then again confession, at least that is what some folks say, is good for the soul.

What do you mean "as you age", I'm already there . I see a hand truck in the box's future.

BTW, I made some mistakes in making the the lid and will have to re-make it after I'm home from the Oregon trip. They are nothing big and the lid works fine but a little ugly even for a work box.

ken

Hi Ken, last spring I had Japanese Box Day for the grand kids. I had selected some ceder fence boards and brought them inside to dry for 2 months. The plan was to cut up the parts and drill pilot holes for box nails and the kids were going to bang together, it was a great success and the 3 of them went home happy.
    On my prototype box I did have have some difficulty working out the geometry for the sliding lid also I had ordered cut nails for the project but they were too robust for the 5/8'' ceder and the ends with the handholds were glued up ahead of time to ease the construction.
    image2.JPGimage3.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Malakoff View Post
    Hi Ken, last spring I had Japanese Box Day for the grand kids. I had selected some ceder fence boards and brought them inside to dry for 2 months. The plan was to cut up the parts and drill pilot holes for box nails and the kids were going to bang together, it was a great success and the 3 of them went home happy.
    On my prototype box I did have have some difficulty working out the geometry for the sliding lid also I had ordered cut nails for the project but they were too robust for the 5/8'' ceder and the ends with the handholds were glued up ahead of time to ease the construction.
    image2.JPGimage3.JPG
    Rick,

What a wonderful thing to do. So far we just have one grandpeanut but I expect at least one more will show up soon.

ken

Hi Rick,

One more "wonderful idea" to do! I am thinking it will be a great project to set up for my grandkids to do when they are here, and they can take the resulting box home with them.

Thanks for the great idea!

Stew

Hey Ken,

Ya got to do what ya got to do! Far better to biscuit join than not have tools with you!

By the way, did the vise screw come in?

What lumber are you taking, and do you have some projects to work on, already in mind?

One suggestion, how about a new portable tool chest to take with you on the next trip.....to go with the new portable work bench. Don't let your wife suddenly think it might be a good blanket chest.....you already lost one tool chest to a grand daughter. (Well, we grandpas are easy marks for wives, daughters, and grandkids....and when they work in cahoots.....no....make that we are WAY to EASY marks.) (A second thought, if she thinks "blanket chest" after she sees your new tool chest you can tell her about a new Japanese tool box that might work for a blanket chest.....well....a poor alternative suggestion is better than no alternative suggestion.)

Stew

I have built a few in my day. I just love the form - they are sturdy and very easy to tote around. They aren't just for tools! My last one was built to hold our double 12 set of dominos. Made it out of black cherry with bloodwood trim - finished with orange shellac. Beats the heck out of that cheap metal tin they came in!

20150926_101503.jpg
    20150425_111002.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Phillips View Post
    I have built a few in my day. I just love the form - they are sturdy and very easy to tote around. They aren't just for tools! My last one was built to hold our double 12 set of dominos. Made it out of black cherry with bloodwood trim - finished with orange shellac. Beats the heck out of that cheap metal tin they came in!

20150926_101503.jpg
    20150425_111002.jpg
    Ted,

Your box brings a smile to my face, it is way prettier and better made than my pine one. I'm with you and expect to see many more boxes in my future....Too easy and too functional not to build more.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Denton View Post
    Hey Ken,

Ya got to do what ya got to do! Far better to biscuit join than not have tools with you!

By the way, did the vise screw come in?

What lumber are you taking, and do you have some projects to work on, already in mind?

One suggestion, how about a new portable tool chest to take with you on the next trip.....to go with the new portable work bench. Don't let your wife suddenly think it might be a good blanket chest.....you already lost one tool chest to a grand daughter. (Well, we grandpas are easy marks for wives, daughters, and grandkids....and when they work in cahoots.....no....make that we are WAY to EASY marks.) (A second thought, if she thinks "blanket chest" after she sees your new tool chest you can tell her about a new Japanese tool box that might work for a blanket chest.....well....a poor alternative suggestion is better than no alternative suggestion.)

Stew
    Stew,

Yep, the screw made it in time to finish the bench.

I've already lost that one....More boxes to come.

ken