Thread: Electrical Question

Electrical Question

I have a rather expensive digital timer rated at 120AC, 15A and a Leybold vacuum pump, 220 VAC, 2.0A. Can I wire just one leg of the 220 to the switch and control the pump that way? I realize that leaves one one leg of the pump circuitry energized when the switch shuts off, but it does stop the pump as I once wired a small fan this way without a problem.

Does this idea present any serious problems/dangers? I resort to this because I can't find a 220 digital timer similar to what I already have.

It would likely be better to use a contactor to control the 240v to the pump and use a 120v timer on the control side. IMHO.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Yep, get a 120V DPST (or DPDT) contactor and switch the 240V.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

To answer your question directly, your timer would still be switching 240 volts if connected as you propose and would likely quickly be toast.

So, as Jim and Mike said, use a contactor.

Something like this would work nicely: https://www.functionaldevices.com/pr...etails/RIB01P/

It was 15 years ago, but I bought a DP contactor on ebay for $10 to replace one on my TS that burned up.

That said... your switch would only see 120v and should work normally. I wouldn't do it though; there are enough dangers in life without creating them needlessly.

Quote Originally Posted by David Pascoe View Post
    I have a rather expensive digital timer rated at 120AC, 15A and a Leybold vacuum pump, 220 VAC, 2.0A. Can I wire just one leg of the 220 to the switch and control the pump that way? I realize that leaves one one leg of the pump circuitry energized when the switch shuts off, but it does stop the pump as I once wired a small fan this way without a problem.

Does this idea present any serious problems/dangers? I resort to this because I can't find a 220 digital timer similar to what I already have.
    No - don't do that.

To elaborate on why you shouldn't do this: the switch is still "blocking" 240V, so even though it's only on one leg, the full voltage is applied to the switch. The unswitched leg runs through the pump, forming a circuit which is broken by the switch. So the switch sees the full voltage, and needs to be rated, as such. You could confirm (with a multimeter) that there is 240V across the terminals that you're proposing putting a switch at.

As another way to consider the situation: what if the "other leg" (unswitched) was ground, and the leg you're switching was 600V - what would the switch need to be rated for? 600V.

Yes it will work (for a short time) and yes it is dangerous.