Thread: Fiber Laser NOOB / I could use some help 20w Galvo

Fiber Laser NOOB / I could use some help 20w Galvo

I'm completely new to using a laser .

Im running a 20w fiber with rotary using ezcad software.

Does anyone have a cheat sheet for parameters to ..

1. Black marking on stainless steel
    2. Clearing out powder coating on a ss cup .

As for hatching dxf files .. I'm completely lost .

My main goals initially are to engrave cups using the rotary .

Here re I tried to make black . Settings

speed 100
    power 90
    freq 25
    hatch .02
    i adjust the focal depth in parameters from 290 to 288

Trying to post pic now

I'm afraid that's the wrong tool for the job for engraving cups, stainless and powder coated. You can do it but it will be painfully slow. A CO2 laser will do it in a fraction of the time.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by jermey fontenot View Post
    Trying to post pic now
    Jermey, going to tell you something you don't want to hear. Most if not all of us here with Fibers started with a co2 laser, ganty type.
    The Fiber has So many options and settings to change for each material. I spent a week or so before I got mine, Searching, Copy / Paste into Word printed out and read. I have added pages as they were posted. Then you need a log book of some sort to keep track of what settings work on what material. I spent a couple of months just getting used to the machine and settings on various materials.

I had some idea of where to start, but EZCad is not.... welll easy. I am assuming you have experance with a grapics promgram of some sort, but sooner or later your going to need Corel Draw.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

https://jquery-file-upload.appspot.c...2/IMG_0006.JPG

I have experience with graphics . I'm a controls and automation engineer .

I've been logging my results and 'fine tuning ' just needs a heads up on where to start .

I have coral draw ... what's the benefit of it .
    Last edited by jermey fontenot; 08-22-2017 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    I'm afraid that's the wrong tool for the job for engraving cups, stainless and powder coated. You can do it but it will be painfully slow. A CO2 laser will do it in a fraction of the time.
    I have to agree with Steve, wrong tool for that job. Get yourself some CerMark & a CO2 laser. I love using both my Fiber lasers, but for SS cups it's CO2. I do, on occasion produce cups on the Fiber, but that is only for special clients that pay way, WAY beyond the standard rates, and my family too.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Hi Jeremy,

have a read of this...

http://www.needham-coding.com/wp-con...ual-REV214.pdf
    Darren Wilson

Tool Control Solutions

Gerber Syst. 48 CNC Router
    Epilog 36EXT
    MAX MPS-20 Galvo 20w MOPA Fiber
    Roland LEF-200 UV Printer
    Wisely/JPT 60W MOPA