Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Insulating a garage: worth it?

Question Insulating a garage: worth it?

I have a two car garage, though it is as small as can still be called two car. I'm putting in a mud room. Since I'll be putting up dry wall, I'm considering insulating it. But I'm wondering if it's worth the expense. I've come across an article or two suggesting maybe not. Here are a few relevant details in no particular order. I don't plan on heating or cooling the garage. I have a full basement where my shop is, so while I do work in it occasionally, I won't be spending much time working in the garage. The garage door is already insulated, so that's not a concern. The attic above the garage is not, so I'd have to do that too. Lastly, the mud room space will likely be open to the garage. My wife is in a wheelchair and doesn't want another door to have to open. This might beg the question of why finish part of it off, but I won't waste time detailing my reasons. I'm going to do it.

On the one hand, insulating seems like a no-brainer: its much easier to do before dry wall is up (and I suspect less expensive) and it will probably slow heat and cooling loss from the house. But is it worth it? Will the time and money spent be recouped by savings over the long haul?

I realize I'm a little short on details but any advice would be appreciated.

Tom, I would tend to agree with you that it is not worth insulating the garage if you don't intend to work in it during cold months. The wall that separates the living area in the house from the garage should be insulated from when the house was built so there really wouldn't be any savings there from heat or cooling loss from the house. If you actually use your garage for vehicles than an insulated garage would help a little with heat loss from the house mostly when a hot engine is in the garage. But this would be so slight that I would guess the payback would not be in your lifetime.

If first I was going to recommend it as my shop is in my garage and it was insulated during construction. Makes heating and cooling it so easy. BUT, if you're not planning on heating or cooling it then I would agree with John Z. that it is not worth the time or money. Use those $$ for something else.

OTOH, insulation is so easy when the walls are open and so hard when they're not, fiberglass batts are so cheap, why not cut the next guy a break and stuff some insulation in the walls? Another owner will thank you if they convert the space to a shop or living space. The only reward may be karma points, but those can be worth it.

Insulate now and you'll be in good shape if your plans change (and they always do).

Insulate while you can. it does not cost very much and it helps a lot in summer. no idea where in the world you live but if it freezes or gets too hot you may lose stuff stored in the garage and make a big mess when they blow. Liquids such as glue and paint may freeze. Soda cans will blow in summer etc.
    Bill D.

We had our 30x30 garage insulated when we built the house, thinking it would be cooler in the
    hot Georgia summer .... A waste of money .... It gets really hot, anyway...

If that mud room is going to be open to the garage space, I'd insulate for sure. But I also agree with Bill that it's good to do that now while it's open and not all that expensive overall to put R15 bats in the walls and some R19-R30 in that attic space. In other words, I'd personally insulate it while it's open "now".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Kintner View Post
    We had our 30x30 garage insulated when we built the house, thinking it would be cooler in the
    I upped the insulation in my garage ceiling. from 2" ridgid fiberglass to adding r13 on top of that. It helps a lot on summer days I can stay out there several more hours past noon then before with no ac. But when it is 110 outside I do not stay much past noon.
    What climate is this guys house in anyway? If he is using the garage as an airlock to keep outside air out of the house he should insulate. personally I would insulate since it will help sell the house later.
    If he is in the USA he should ,also check the bolting down of the mud sill, tie down of roof structure, etc before closing up the walls. IE retrofitting.
    Bill
    I

Insulate it now while it's easy to do, you will not regret it later. Insulation is a relative inexpensive part of building.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Kintner View Post
    How do you know? how hot are other similar garages with no insulation? Mine has never gone over 85 since I insulated. Of course the unisulated attic easily gets hotter.
    Bill D

Thanks for all the input. A lot of good opinions. I realized reading them that I have a middle ground option of insulating the walls before hanging drywall and deciding whether I want to do the attic later. I think the attic would be the most expensive part of insulation and it can be done at any time. I won't get much if any benefit until the attic is done but I'll be set for it if I decide to.

Thanks for all the replies.

If you live above the Arctic or Antarctic circle I would say insulation is a no brainer. If you air condition the house and live near the equator I would say it again is a no brainer to insulate.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Porter View Post
    I have a middle ground option of insulating the walls before hanging drywall and deciding whether I want to do the attic later.
    This is a good plan for sure!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Insulate when you can.