Thread: Does a metal detector find lead, as in a bullet lodged in an old tree?

Does a metal detector find lead, as in a bullet lodged in an old tree?

Does a metal detector find lead, as in a bullet lodged in an old tree?

I Was just recently turning cherry I harvested (20" log) and saw some metal that I was turning and cutting without even feeling or noticing. I pulled it out and realized it was lead. It was a bullet, probably a hunters round from several years back. The lead was soft enough that my tools were cutting thru it like wood.

Not sure but lead is so soft that it probably wouldn't matter if you knew it was there or not . . .
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Yes Joe, a metal detector will detect lead. Years ago I use to metal detect and I would find a lot of lead bullets.

15 Years ago I worked for a reclaimed lumber company. My first job there was a "nail puller" and basically used a metal detector to find and remove any metal before running the timbers through the wood mizer.

I found a lot of bullets with it.

Maybe those responding to this thread might know for sure . . . What are the limitations of the Lumber Wizard with regard to wood thicker than 3"-4". The Lumber Wizard people indicate the best depth of detection is around 2", so scanning from both sides would yield success with a 4" square piece max. Are there better options out there that don't cost hundreds or thousands of dollars? Will a conventional metal detector work for woodworking uses?

I just have a cheap harbor freight metal detector but I tried it with solid lead bullets and it did go off but the unit did not have the same growl as it has with steel. What I found curious is that a copper jacketed bullet sounded like the solid lead one, I would have thought that the copper would have made a slightly different noise in the feed back between the coils . Or maybe these old ears just could not hear the difference. ( that is more likely)