Thread: bandsaw trouble

bandsaw trouble

Hi Guys,

I have a Grizzly 0555LANV saw that I have owned for about 5 years. I always ran it with a 1/2 inch blade, and although I know I did not have all the adjustments perfect it always ran and cut great and the blade tracked how I wanted it to.

I got a 3/8 blade to do some carving blanks and I cannot make this saw run right.

I set it up, get the blade tracking, adjust all the guides and it seems to be running correctly. Then after a couple cuts it will be tracking horribly and all the guides are out of alignment, I have cycled through this 4 or 5 times and I am out of ideas.

Could it be something got knocked out of wack when I moved last year and I just never noticed with the big blade, are my guides shot?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Blog Entries
    I put Carter Guides on my 14" Jet and never regretted it. The saw has no issues.

I think you probably damaged your blade. Try another blade or put the other blade back on. Bandsaws are unusually sensitive to blades, dulling the teeth on one side is the absolute death of a blade.

And ditto on the carter Guides.

On the blade part this new blade never worked, could I have damaged it during initial installation?

I will put the larger blade back on and see it it works, if that works is it safe to assume that I can buy another new smaller blade and it should as well?

I vote for a bad balde too.Bandsaw blades really go dull fast esp the cheaper one I keep a half dozen on hand for my 14 inch saw.I like Olsen blades and try to keep the pro edge on hand for important work.I do keep a cheap one on the saw most of the time because I use it for plywood and all kinds of weird stuff.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Aj

Look at new blade, especially the area of the weld, and make sure back edge is straight.

Since I didnt have another smaller blade and didnt want to drive 30 miles each day to get one I decided to take one last crack at this. Pretty much took the whole saw apart and set it all back up.

The issue seems to be 90% better, I do think the blade is toasted, but not getting the extreme problems I was having before and guided are staying where I want them. This weekend I will swap out the bearings and the blade and hopefully be back to 100%.

While trouble shooting I did read up on Carter guides and stabilizer, I dont think I want to invest in the guides, but the stabalizer is now on my must have list!