Thread: Wood identification

Question Wood identification

Hi everyone, I'm new here and was hoping for some help identifying some wood I have bought from a fellow turner, who also couldn't ID them.
    They are 2 burrs, I just can't figure them out, I've attached images before and after turning. any ideas? thanks in advance.
    jonah
    Attached Images Attached Images

My guesses, and they are just that, would be ash and locust.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Are they from the same tree? Looks a lot like Catalpa to me. Black locust is a possibility though. Catalpa is rather soft ad Locust is quite hard especially when dry.
    Possibly Elm as well. Hard to tell without leaves or bark from a straight section of the tree.
    Last edited by Don Orr; 08-22-2017 at 1:14 PM.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

It would help Johah to know where the wood and you are located.
    Tim.
    Seven days without turning makes one weak.

Good point!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Leiter View Post
    It would help Johah to know where the wood and you are located.
    Tim.
    Thank you very much for your replies everyone, yes, you're quite right, locality would have been useful!
    I am in the UK and the wood is most likely to be relatively common, I bought it from a fellow turner along with it I got rowan, silver birch, willow, cherry, ash and other bits n bobs.
    I've attached another image of something I made from the first burr in case that helps....

Thanks again
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks very much John, Ive never knowingly spotted a locust over here in the UK, I can see the similarities.

I'd assumed they are from different trees, the bark was different and the colours too. Ive never even heard of catalpa, it's beautiful and definitely looks similar, but would that be in a UK turners pile? hmmmm. Thanks for your help, much appreciated Don.

Sorry, but I didn't know where you were. Catalpa is an under appreciated wood here, IMHO.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!