Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Does being neander change how you see things?

For me - the more I learn, the more I appreciate fine workmanship... I appreciate the time and care that goes into making things right.

I have also come to realize that better hand "tool chops" makes all your work better... When you learn to cut really straight accurate cuts with a hand saw - your power saw cuts tend to improve as well. Etc...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Lau View Post
    Thanks guys for the thought provoking comments.
    I'd actually forgotten about this thread, since I've been focussing on my business, getting loan documents ready, Texas flooding, and the storm in Florida.

Derek's thoughts are particularly pertinent as I find myself with increasingly less time to do stuff.
    I like neander--not to prove something---but for the practical fact that you can do a lot without needing 100's of lb of machinery, noise, and sawdust. It's like a super power to make stuff inside a limited space and tools (like my bedroom, or on the beach)...to make stuff exactly as you want it.

I was driven to japanese tools because they work...and work well.

However, I'm finding myself mainly using power tools for "brute forcing" projects and finishing with hand tools.
    I don't like power tools, because they're loud, spew dust, and can easily mangle fingers.
    But they work, and save much time.

Anyways, reading these thoughts helped me clear my mind.
    Thanks.
    I'll argue that no tool is a brute force tool, at least for woodworking. A bit of finesse goes a long way in every aspect of this craft by machine or hand.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    I'll argue that no tool is a brute force tool, at least for woodworking. A bit of finesse goes a long way in every aspect of this craft by machine or hand.
    Hmm, maybe that's what I'm missing.

Seriously, there are shades of grey here. IMO paring typically involves more finesse than chopping, etc.

I just can't abide people who drive their chisels through the stuff with metal hammers though. So... brutish :-).

Blog Entries
    Hah! Watch out for those types!

Finesse when chopping as well, in a way. Over time and experience I've gone from feeling that I needed to chop with heavy 450-750g hammers toward 225g-450g hammers more often now the lighter of them. I've attributed this to an increased ability to strike more effectively. Stan's tuning if my handle shape along with my own changes in how I chop, how much bite I take and generally using the bevel most often.

Im using a lot of white oak at the moment, it can be hard on edges and so careful use allows me to preserve my edges for longer than aggressive use. By careful I do not mean slow or light, I strike the chisel swiftly but carefully manage the chisel handle.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

It's actually really informative to see all these replies.
    In all seriousness, I find it extremely humbling to see all the steps, preperation, and details to make things turn out right. It challenges me to think harder, prepare better, and try to do better work on my patient's mouths.
    While I still use power tools, electric and pneumatic handpeices, and embrace technological progress, I think there's much to learn from the nameless traditional craftsman.