Thread: Segmented vase more fiss wood.

Segmented vase more fiss wood.

Here is another vase of fiss wood ( found in shop scraps). This is what John requested when he didn't like the mix wood in top ring. It is about 10 1/2 high and about 8 inches max diameter. The bottom ring contains 12 segments and each one above has one more segment with top mixed wood having 28.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Coates View Post
    Here is another vase of fiss wood ( found in shop scraps). This is what John requested when he didn't like the mix wood in top ring. It is about 10 1/2 high and about 8 inches max diameter. The bottom ring contains 12 segments and each one above has one more segment with top mixed wood having 28.
    That is nice!

Do you calculate the angles as you go or use a spreadsheet or software like Segment Pro? Also, do you use wedges with a sled like the Seg-Easy to cut your segments?

JKJ

I do like that rim more than the earlier piece. The solid dark does dress it up. But I confess I did not catch the the pattern error in the previous piece until it was mentioned.

Thanks for comments.
    John,
    I created a spread sheet that does all the calculations.I have made wedges for 8,10,12,15,16.18.20.24.30.32.36.40.45 and 48 segments.
    The spread sheet show the angles at top. You select how many pieces of each angle you want in a ring and make the total 360. For example for 13 segment ring, you can pick 11 (out of 12) and add two from a 24 ring.
    Once you have all the rings you want, you then can select a starting ring diameter and a increment. I have ways that you can change the diameter as you create the sheet.
    I use Jerry's wedge sled design and believe that is the best way(and cheapest) to cut rings on a table saw.
    Attached is a pdf of a test bowl that show excel generated cutlist for 5 rings from 10 to 14 segments in the rings. Row one is the number of segments, row 2 is the arc angle of the segment. I found it easier to think as arc instead of angle you would use to cut with a miter gauge. As a case I picked 10, 20, 30 and 40 as the wedgies I want to use.
    Row three thru seven show the number of wedges in brackets and the decimal length of the segment need to make the diameter.
    The wood calculations are the sum of number of pieces times the length.
    It is simple but hard to explain.

Bob
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks. I'm familiar with the method and sled and I think you explained it well. One of these days I am actually going to try this myself.

JKJ

I can see you have put a lot of effort into this project Bob, but I don't understand the purpose of increasing the number of segments. The process does not seem to allow a pattern flow. Is there a reason for doing this other than "cause I can"?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bulloch View Post
    ... I don't understand the purpose of increasing the number of segments....
    I don't know Bob's reasoning but I like the smaller pieces and increasing visual complexity as the eye moves from the base to the top. The wider segments at the base provide a stronger "anchor."

JKJ

Bill,
    First thanks for you input. Here are some comments on why.
    Yes one reason is because you can. At first I used the increase to do spiral patterns, but just did like it. I had a lot of "fiss" that wasn't enough to complete a single piece, so tried using up all the small scraps instead of using them in wood stove.
    I made 3 with random patterns, and 2 with a pattern from some "non scraps". The three random went first and end up giving niece and sister the pattern ones.
    I like Johns answer also, never gave it that though that way.
    It is also something I don't think anyone else is trying and I like John said it breaks up the same size.
    It presents a challenge laying out a ring not to get a pattern within the ring.
    Bob