Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Crucible dividers?

Crucible dividers?

Has anyone ordered Crucible's new dividers? I must admit I got a severe case of sticker shock when I saw the cost - $187 (for just one pair), including domestic shipping.

I'll bet they're darn nice tools though.

Thoughts?

Fred

Fred,

I assume you mean by one pair a single divider, if so, yep a little pricey. If for a pair of dividers not so much. A pair of Starrett 6" are around $160 USD at WoodCraft.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Fred,

I assume you mean by one pair a single divider, if so, yep a little pricey. If for a pair of dividers not so much. A pair of Starrett 6" are around $160 USD at WoodCraft.

ken
    Yeah Ken, the way I read their website it's $187 for a single tool. I was hoping maybe it was for two - then I coulda talked myself into it. But I just couldnt get there for a single tool.

But I'd love to hear from folks who have them. They look like they'll feel good in your hand and work beautifully.

Fred

4. They are competing with a large stock of vintage tools, some needing a little fettling but few selling above $10. I have a large drawer full of dividers of a great variety of sizes and styles. I'm quite sure that I have less than $187 invested in the lot.

That said, they look like nice tools. I wish them luck.

I favor dividers with a spring loaded quadrant, easy to set to a fine tolerance and holds the setting well. I would guess this design is harder to set.

I think you are right. One pair means just one unit, as in a pair of glasses.

Now some people complain about the new Combo Plane being pricey at $399!

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by bridger berdel View Post
    They are competing with a large stock of vintage tools, some needing a little fettling but few selling above $10. I have a large drawer full of dividers of a great variety of sizes and styles. I'm quite sure that I have less than $187 invested in the lot.

That said, they look like nice tools. I wish them luck.
    Increasingly, tools that fall into the boutique category need to be priced high to attract attention and spending. Yes, that pair is pricey but I don't think sales is a big issue at the beginning. As long as they don't keep making batches and batches of dividers when sales slows down and disappears, their inventory costs should not be high.

Simon

I have to say that they look quite elegant for a pair of dividers, a pair meaning two legs like a pair of jeans. 187$ buys lots of jeans or other stuff to put in your kit.
    Recently I purchased 4 pair 2 strait leg one each inside and outside all at a buck each, they all do their job. But then again I'm on the thrifty side.
    Rick
    IMG_2945[1].jpg

That's an absurd price for a set of dividers. You can get name brand dividers on eBay for a LOT less than that.

And one thing I don't like about those expensive ones - they don't have a "spinner" at the top. When you use dividers, you're often stepping off spaces (such as for dovetails) and a spinner makes it a lot easier.

If you don't want a spinner, buy some inside calipers and grind the legs to a point. You'll have a set of dividers without a spinner.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

In the details, the word architect tells the whole story. Architects don't do anything cheaply. Looks is everything.
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe

Blog Entries
    I have used them but do not own them. They are very well made and true works of art. As for the price- well, that's why I don't own one. I don't think their target market are people that consider price over quality- to an extreme.

Speaking of no spinner, got these at the Millers Falls factory store in Greenfield MA summer of 74. They came with 2 strait legs and a bent one so you could turn it in or out and effectively use it for same. Not having a spinner is it's biggest draw back but the fact that it will hold a pencil negates that 100%.
    Rick
    IMG_2947[1].jpg

There are many old dividers to be found in flea markets for a few dollars each. But,the old ones are usually at least brown all over,or rustier. Personally,I have always used the more modern type as mentioned,with the spinner on top,and screw adjustable legs.

I have a divider similar to the MF just above,except it is a Starrett. Bright finished,and with extra legs. Made to hold a pencil in one leg if desired. Mine never got rusty. I was in Delaware at the time,and found them in a pawn shop for $3.00.

Blog Entries
    I was a Quartermaster in the Navy. We were involved with navigation. Those look like navigator dividers. I have a similar pair here by my computer.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 08-23-2017 at 2:31 PM.

I've got a hand made pair that I think are unusual. No adjustment arc or spinner,taper is long and graceful. In playing with them I saw that they would be alternately loose and tight enough to use. When adjusting them you can turn the hinge part with thumb and forefinger while adjusting and make them tight. Opinions vary as to whether that is an intentional feature
    for quick adjustment or irritating flaw. Joint looks like cam. Would love to post pic, and a friend here gratiously PMd good instructions. But I have not practiced, my wife might do it.