Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Free form Furniture on DIY channel

I Tivo David's shows religiously. Even my wife enjoys watching his shows. I think for most people on SMC, his shows are right up our alley. I grew up watching Norm, but I have yet to see any of his NYW shows. I need to let Tivo find them for me.

Amy's show has it's own niche too. It's very "DIY Networkish". She's not the typical DIY hostess though. She seems to really know what she's doing. Nothing beats a cute girl that knows how to use nice tools. I liked the design of the CD racks too.

DIY Woodworking is another "DIY Networkish" show. No where near the level of David, but I like one or two episodes.

We're lucky to have so many woodworking shows - good or bad. Remember when it was just This Old House on PBS?

Amy is part of one of the other WW forums and I emailed her about the t - the hall entry table project. DIY dictates the complexity of the shows and I'm sure the sponsors control a lot of that also. She seems to have skill, though its tough to compare someones skills as a teacher on TV (Scrip writters) to their real skills as a craftperson. She likes different mediums, which a lot of other WWers don't even attempt to add to their designs. You can take any project on TV and adapt different designs or better jointery techniques. A lot of David Marks' first shows used less complex methods and a lot of bisques. She's got the skills or she would not have a show.

Jon

After seeing FFF mentioned in this thread, I had TiVo catch an episode for me (the hall table) and liked what I saw -- both the project and the presenter. I"ll be watching more of this series, methinks.

- Vaughn

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Olson
    Amy is part of one of the other WW forums and I emailed her about the t - the hall entry table project. DIY dictates the complexity of the shows and I'm sure the sponsors control a lot of that also. She seems to have skill, though its tough to compare someones skills as a teacher on TV (Scrip writters) to their real skills as a craftperson. She likes different mediums, which a lot of other WWers don't even attempt to add to their designs. You can take any project on TV and adapt different designs or better jointery techniques. A lot of David Marks' first shows used less complex methods and a lot of bisques. She's got the skills or she would not have a show.
    For that matter, Marks' stuff is toned down some for the show. To give you an idea of what he's really capable of, check out his sculptures: http://www.djmarks.com/sculptures.asp

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan
    After seeing FFF mentioned in this thread, I had TiVo catch an episode for me (the hall table) and liked what I saw -- both the project and the presenter. I"ll be watching more of this series, methinks.

- Vaughn
    Vaughn - A new "do" to hide that combover! Most impressive.
    Only the Blue Roads

I saw this show for the first time today and liked it. I told my wife I found a replacement for her With the shop space Amy has I could really go wild.... and take my 12" cabinet saw off it's mobile base and not have to use the mobility kit on my MM FS41 jointer/planer. I might not even have to put the outfeed rollers down on my cabinet saw ever again!

I did like the fact that it was not the dumbed down woodworking show some of the other DIY shows are (obviously excluding David Marks).

I also like it because Amy designs and builds things that I wouldn't usually consider. Like many here, I think creative thinking and techniques are always good to see, regardless of the final form. Plus, I have to admit I like Amy's genuiness and enthusiasm.

Bob

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Garlock
    Then there is Bruce Johnson that is still trying to find the score card.
    Thanks for the great chuckle Ken. And you are so right on with that assessment!!
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

I don't have a television so I will never see the show but after reading this I did check out her web site, www.amydevers.com . I did like her table, "Tribute to My Mother In Her Cat Glasses". I think I need to start naming my projects more creatively!

Mark: Her studio is in LA - drop in!!

Dave Fried

I like all the shows generally...

I have seen the show several times.. She made a mantel shelf that had small drawers on the ends.. I thought was interesting.. I did not care for her tile and corian outdoor furniture... Honestly i just thought they were ugly. :0 One mans opinion...
    "I have worked myself up from nothing to extreme poverty." Groucho Marx
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChrisPineWorkshop

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Pine
    I did not care for her tile and corian outdoor furniture... Honestly i just thought they were ugly.
    Well, they may have been ugly, but they were also (very) expensive. At least the ugly patio furniture from Wally World is cheap.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

I tivo her show and watch if her project is woodworking related. Her show seems to be more design orientated and she uses a lot of different materials in her projects. I like her show and hope it makes it and convinces more women to get into woodworking.

~mark

I've watched it, the fact she designs the pieces to fit is really the crux of her show. She explains why she chose the design she did. Remember she's building this for someone else so her designs will use alot of differing materials. The only part I don't like is "Over in the welding section...", I don't have a welding section in my shop, guess I'll have to get one or keep hiring out for metal work. :P But in all seriousness and jealousy aside, she is no David Marks, but then again David Marks, is no Krenov. I enjoy the show, keeps me remembering that no matter how it's put together biscut of M&T it needs to make the customer happy.
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson

I was probably in architecture school around the same time that Amy was at RISD. So the kind of 'multi-media furniture design' stuff that Amy does is pretty familiar. I was lucky enough to get into a studio class where we each designed and built a piece of furniture, which was really fun and interesting, and then had to design a building around it, which was surprisingly hard! (One of my fellow students built a truly amazing 'flexible spine' chair that he should have patented - but that's a whole other tanget.) Acutally, compared to what RISD (and other university's) students and faculty often do, the designs on her show are pretty 'conventional'.

Her show isn't a woodworking show - it's a 'furniture design/build' show. My single biggest criticism is that she doesn't have the time to actually explain the how and why of what she's doing the way that David Marks does. It's great exposure to a lot of varied techniques like welding and plastics, but it's weak on the nitty-gritty (and the DIY website isn't that great either...)

(While I'm on tangets, am I the only person who falls asleap during David Marks' show? It isn't boring at all, it's just something about his voice and maybe the humming tools....)

I do roll my eyes each time they run the "MFA - furniture design" title. To me a degree is a pretty weak qualification - it's the interesting work that she produces that qualifies her. One thing I've noticed is that she often moves like she's working in a production shop - when she runs things over the TS, it's fast and decisive - like she's got 30 of whatever it is to make.

But the rack of Festools in the back of her shop makes me drool. (Sure, rub it in Amy - have two $300 drills laying in the same camera shot!) David Marks has an increasing collection of Festools, and some of the This Old House guys do too. Hmmm... maybe I should start up a TV show...

(Oh, yeah, she is rather cute on top of everything else)

The first time I watched the show I paused the TiVO so I could check out the eye-candy. Then I invited my wife in and she agreed, that's a nice rack...

Of course we were both looking at the 3 carts of Festool systainers during the opening camera swing

My Festool's are my wife's favorite tools. She likes the way they stack...

-Scott