Thread: Glue for fresh pressure treat?

Glue for fresh pressure treat?

I am making a raised bed garden with 2x12 pt. To keep everything in alignment while I screw them together, I want to throw some dominoes in; and I might as well glue them in. But what glue? The wood is still wet, but not sopping like some is.
    Epoxy? Polyurethane?

Polyurethane would be a good choice since it's moisture-cured. If this raised bed is for food plants, you may want to carefully consider about using PT...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I used PT 2x12's to make my raised beds. Was concerned about using PT for this purpose, so I used stainless steel staples to attach a layer of heavy duty pond liner to the side of the beds. I used Timberlock screws to hold everything together with 2x4's at the corners and spaced every few feet along the bed to anchor them in the soil. No glue involved so they can be taken apart if need be. Also added hardware cloth to the bottom to keep the dang moles out. It has worked!
    IMG_3369.jpg

http://www.finegardening.com/are-pre...fe-garden-beds

Can anybody explain to me why raising the growing beds is a good thing? If you put the same dirt flush with the surrounding ground, don't you get the same effect, but without the expense of the wood? (..and the worry about chemicals in the pressure-treat..) What is the magic about raising the plants ten inches or so?

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Can anybody explain to me why raising the growing beds is a good thing? If you put the same dirt flush with the surrounding ground, don't you get the same effect, but without the expense of the wood? (..and the worry about chemicals in the pressure-treat..) What is the magic about raising the plants ten inches or so?
    Heavy clay soils is my reason. If you created a pit and filled it with good dirt it wouldn't drain worth a hoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    Heavy clay soils is my reason. If you created a pit and filled it with good dirt it wouldn't drain worth a hoot.
    That, and its a better height for weeding and such.

I wasn't going to depend on the glue; just to keep everything together while I screwed it up.

Everything says that ACQ is harmless.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    Like Ted, this is the same reason why I have raised beds, PLUS, I have a high water table in my back yard and most garden plants dislike constant wet feet.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Don't waste time and effort on gluing. Line it up and just drill and screw.

Your reason for raised beds is exactly right. I don't need them where we live now but my last place had about 2" of top soil and then clay.

I'm not one for pressure treated timber with food production. When we had the dairy, we had to eliminate all PT timber because the residues are detectable in milk. Cheers