Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Botched Stair Thread Deleted?

Lee,

To your point, I don't know what the current requirements are but in the State of Idaho, a few years ago, all it took was paying the license fee to become licensed according to my neighbor, a licensed painting contractor.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Interesting discussion, I would venture to guess that the average homeowner probably isn't aware of all the codes that are applicable to a renovation project and too many of them consider a building permit an unnecessary expense that will add cost to the job, cause delays etc. and might even consider a building inspector to be the enemy. Many are also not skilled in evaluating prospective contractors and unlikely to know that, for example, a licensed flooring installer is not qualified to work on stairs and might be intimidated by the idea of asking potential contractors for references, proof of insurance, proof of current licenses etc.
    Not sure what the answer is, I admit I've not fully vetted a few contractors in my day and relied on my instincts to select a contractor instead, not insisted on a permit and never been burnt.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Lee,

To your point, I don't know what the current requirements are but in the State of Idaho, a few years ago, all it took was paying the license fee to become licensed according to my neighbor, a licensed painting contractor.
    Exactly my point.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Interesting discussion, I would venture to guess that the average homeowner probably isn't aware of all the codes that are applicable to a renovation project and too many of them consider a building permit an unnecessary expense that will add cost to the job, cause delays etc. and might even consider a building inspector to be the enemy. Many are also not skilled in evaluating prospective contractors and unlikely to know that, for example, a licensed flooring installer is not qualified to work on stairs and might be intimidated by the idea of asking potential contractors for references, proof of insurance, proof of current licenses etc.
    Not sure what the answer is, I admit I've not fully vetted a few contractors in my day and relied on my instincts to select a contractor instead, not insisted on a permit and never been burnt.
    Excellent answer. Thumbs up.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Lee,

That's really something. Seems like quite a disservice to the public and to the qualified contractors in that particular state. To Lee's point, if the expectation is that all, including the proverbial little old lady, ought to be knowledgeable and researched in building codes in order to hire out work in their homes, I'm not sure it's very realistic.

It's amazing how much variance there can be from state to state. In some states there are organized procedures, rules and standards, and it seems like in others, anything goes.

A friend moved to SC and tried to pass the test there when I told him I was licensed in WV and he laughed at me and said what kind of test did you have to take and I said the same one you failed 3 times

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    A friend moved to SC and tried to pass the test there when I told him I was licensed in WV and he laughed at me and said what kind of test did you have to take and I said the same one you failed 3 times
    Bet that shut him up!
    Fred

His best buddy was there with me and he had a good laugh because we were going to WV to do a job that no one else in the room could take on due to no license.