Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outdoor BBQ Cart Ideas

Outdoor BBQ Cart Ideas

Guys the weather man on TV just told me that Fall is just around the corner.So with that good news I want to come up with a plan for a outdoor cart that will hold one of those large EGG pits.Na its not mine but my brother inlaws which I want to give to him and my sister inlaw as a wedding gift.My plan is the EGG will seat in the middle and have work surface on both sides with storage underneath and be able to roll around.My problem is what material to use since it will rest on a patio with little shade but most of the time out in the weather when the newness wares off instead of under his walkway.Well I have a treated lumber budget but sure would like something better that would also look better.So what is a step up in material from treated lumber that will still look pretty good over several yrs.Na I can't even come close to teak or anything like that,but maybe paint grade but really don't want to paint it.But then again paint would add some yrs to the life,any ideals for someone who is on a beer budget?Any ideals on design????Thanks guys----Carroll

if you were nearby I'd recommend western red cedar, not sure what the price and availability is in Texas. Maybe consider reclaimed lumber, some old beams from factory or barn. You might even be able to repurpose an old piece. Could make for a very interesting BBQ cart.

I am in the process of building a BBQ cart out of 1 1/2 X 1 1/2 X 3/16 angle iron which will be clad in red cedar panels...Rod

Pressure treated wood that is dried and sanded can look quite nice. I would then coat it with an oil based sealer - no coloring in it. Any type coloring will show wear and require frequent retreatment. Something like Thompson Water Seal will work great and help reduce or prevent cracking. I used it for 20 years on a deck and it still looks good but I did reapply yearly.

It is nice to have a section that is easy to clean and can handle grease without staining. A hunk of granite from the local counter store is one option. Marble or ceramic tiles is another.

A cover like for a grill cart will really help. Look at what is available at the local stores to get an idea of how big a table you can use. I use one from HD on mine. Low cost and has lasted about 7 years.

Storage is an issue. Hard to provide weather tight storage for something outdoors. Tried using plastic storage bins but didn't hold up. Ended up purchasing a Lifetime deck box from Lowes. Two sizes available at $100-150. Really well made, weather tight. Holds my charcoal and accessories and looks nice. Lifetime by far makes the nicest blowmold boxes and storage sheds. Mine are over 8 years old and holding up fine. Tried other brands with no luck as they fell apart.
    Last edited by Peter Kuhlman; 08-24-2017 at 10:04 AM.

I tried cypress down here in Florida for an outdoor project, and wasn't thrilled with the longevity. Cedar sounds like a good choice.

I would recommend an epoxy penetrating sealer followed by marine spar varnish. Some extra work, and not a cheap finish (though you won't need much for that project), but it will protect the wood very well. I have it on a sapele deck chair, that sits outside in the Florida sun, and it looks great.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Carroll

Me personally? I'd use Ipe. It won't work out to much more than pressure treated wood.
    There are just too many negatives associated with pressure treated wood for me, and Ipe will out last pressure treated wood by decades outside.Even if left completely untreated. I've seen Ipe decking right next to marine environments,exposed to rain, sun snow and salt, that has been untreated for over twenty years that looks great. It weathers to a light grey. If you don't want to treat it, you don't have too. Seal the ends with epoxy and that's it.
    It's also heavy and will add mass to the frame you are building. Which should make it stronger and more stable.
    One more added benefit is that Ipe has a fire rating associated with it.😉
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 08-24-2017 at 1:52 PM.

I was going to suggest Ipe also, but not sure how pricey it is. Great choice though for outdoors.

Hint: Don't use interior birch ply. Here's a cart I made 2 yrs ago and never got around to painting. The bottom will be replaced with cedar... then painted.

It has just become so expensive to purchase lumber for projects like this in my area. Take a look at JJGeorge tables for Eggs. Beautiful stuff and reasonably priced. I can only use PT lumber to beat that price and still I have to do the work and finish it.

egg table.jpg Here's a grill table I built for a friend. I used Cedar and it's been doing well so far for the last 2 years. Not a whole lot of direct sunlight but it is still outdoors.

Here's Mine

I built this one out of reclaimed redwood from fence and outdoor projects. It is smaller than you might want but can easily be made larger to accommodate the Egg. It sits outside, uncovered.
    Attached Images Attached Images

IMG_0486.jpgIMG_6125.jpgI built this one out of cedar form the big orange store. Holding up in Florida fine

Good morning guys,thanks for all the pics and the guidance.With all the information here I believe that I can come up with a plan.Have one more question about Thompson Water Sealer,while all the fantastic suggestion on what material to use I kinda like the looks of the redwood.But to help keep this outdoor project from showing its age,guessing that Thompson can also be used over Redwood?I know its not food grade but thats alright,all will be careful.

If redwood will absorb a finish then yes an oil sealer will work. Thompson makes a couple versions - I use their Wood Protector instead of the one that can be used on everything like cement. Oil Based sealers get a lot of criticism but I like that there is no build up, nothing to crack, super easy to apply. Just flood it on with a roller, brush, lt it sit and soak in then wipe it off. If you apply it yearly it just works. I have tried the HD version and it was junk as it needed resealing in 3 months.

Anything you apply that builds a film like marine polyurethane versions will be a painful experience to resurface. If the underlying wood shifts or cracks you will have to either keep building the surface up thicker and thicker or having to figure a way to strip it off first. Oil based soak-in sealers leave no film but do have to be reapplied yearly if left exposed at least here in Louisiana and when I was in upper Michigan. Mine were exposed to the elements somewhat as had no roof but I did keep them covered when not used and the sealer would last up to 2 years.
    Last edited by Peter Kuhlman; 08-26-2017 at 10:33 AM.

Thanks Peter for the feedback,oil sealer it is.And applying it to end grain will help with checking.The PT lumber is so temping which I could use the 1" decking for the top,but all that HD has is wet.So leaning towards the Redwood or Cedar but wish IPE was in my budget---Thanks guys