Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tools you have forgotten

Blog Entries

Tools you have forgotten

Do you have tools you have forgotten?

I do, I just found a Mortise Pal jig I had forgotten about in my closet.
    I have not used it in years, maybe because I tend to chop mortises with chisels.
    I really don't do mortise and tenon joints much as I use to.

I probably should put it on the auction site.

I don't remember.

I've been running a large project in Abu Dhabi for most of the last 3 years. When I get time away from the project I'm usually doing some sort of traveling with my wife e.g., visiting the kids who live down in the States or just going to a cottage for a few days of fishing and relaxing. I'm sure that when I actually get back into the shop I'll find that all my old tools are like new tools! I just hope I remember how to use them!
    Best regards,

Ron

You haven't really been lost until you've been lost at Mach 2!

Loads. Every few months I look through my tool storage and always find things I forgot about. Worst thing is buying twice. I've done it more than a few times.

My problem is that I remember I have the tool, I just don't remember where I put it!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dindner View Post
    Loads. Every few months I look through my tool storage and always find things I forgot about. Worst thing is buying twice. I've done it more than a few times.

So true! I bought a new lathe chuck "On Sale" from Woodcraft thinking of a specific project I wanted to use it on. I got it then broke the lathe out of the chest and found the exact same one I had bought several years earlier still in its box. To my defense I haven't seen the lathe in a very long time due moves and no real need - it's been in the shipping crate.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Miner View Post
    My problem is that I remember I have the tool, I just don't remember where I put it!
    I have that problem a lot. Seems to be getting worse!

Blog Entries
    It happens if you live long enough

I put forward for your consideration, that this problem is much better than...... remembering that you have the tool, remembering where you put the tool, but, when you go to get the tool, you forget what you are there to get.

"I know I came in here to get something......."

For me, it is more likely to be.... "Hey, I have this tool, and I always keep it in that container.... but I can't find it now, Did I sell it, give it away, or fail to put it away last time I used it?"

My inner hoarder wants me to keep everything. My small shop wants me to get rid of everything that I don't use on a regular basis.

Yeah, this has gotten to be something of an agonizing thing for me ---still trying to work out which tools to put in what toolchest using what logic. Currently have:

- small bag ostensibly for my bike handlebars which I have all my precious small tools which are sturdy enough to carry regularly
    - small tool roll for my other most frequently used tools (Stanley Odd Jobs and brass-bound folding, pliers, Felo T-handle 1/4" driver, brass gunsmithing hammer w/ screwdrivers in handle, small saw, 4-in-1 rasp, Schroeder Yankee screwdriver, Lufkin tape measure)
    - small cigar box w/ the delicate precision measuring tools I have of my father (Brown & Sharpe Micrometer, Mitutoyo caliper) and various other tools which were intended for working on my first CNC: https://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/images...so-toolbox.jpg
    - coffin toolbox which I'm currently putting all my bike and electrical tools in
    - Craftsman machinist toolbox for sockets (except for the ones in the coffin toolbox --- see the problem?) and other mechanical and metalworking tools (except for the set of punches hanging on the pegboard)
    - 3 different woodworking toolboxes, a small open one w/ a pair of closed boxes in it, a medium sized joiners chest w/ most of the drills and bits in it, and a large chest which I'm keeping all the planes and everything else except
    - all the stuff hanging on the pegboard

Seriously thinking I'm going to bag the three woodworking chests and switch over to a hanging tool cabinet in my living room, and a small combination woodworking bench / toolbox which I need to design and build to hold _everything_ else for woodworking.

I found a dado set I don't remember buying. A pretty nice one too.
    I always forget that I have a router MicroFence, until after I've made a jig to perform it's basic function.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Not yet - but I do something related to the discussion. Sometimes I'll need something (cheap and small) I know I have but can't find and so will go buy new instead of looking for it. Last week I needed some light wire and I know i have some, somewhere...

Ditto! Or I never put them into service and don't have time when I "need" them. I have a Incra TS miter gauge that I won like three years ago. Still in the box.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

I found a 24" planer the other day I had forgotten about.

When I was packing up the old shop to move here I found quite a few things that were must haves unopened, and some I don't even remember the projects I needed them so badly for.