Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tools you have forgotten

I moved just under 2 years ago. I quickly unpacked maybe 10% of my tools, the ones I used the most but the rest are in rubber made totes in my basement. Also 3-4 totes of tools from my dad that I dont even know what is in there.

I just finished setting up my shops (basement shop for some operations and 1/2 garage for others) and my project for the weekend is to sort through and put away all of them. So by Sunday I should have a long list.

I will also likely have tons to either sell, donate, or throw away.

I just uncovered a brand new set of plug cutters I purchased and promptly forgot about.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    I found a 24" planer the other day I had forgotten about.

You must have a huge shop!

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Takae View Post
    You must have a huge shop!
    Up to 8k sqft now. All sorts of places to loose things.

I suppose all the above is good, has anybody woken up with a different wife ??

Quote Originally Posted by John Gulick View Post
    I suppose all the above is good, has anybody woken up with a different wife ??
    I have... a few times. Turns out she had schizophrenia. It was a short marriage!

It's so annoying to open a drawer and find a tool you just replaced! I try to stay organized, but it's a losing battle.
    Johanna
    Placitas, New Mexico

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    I found a 24" planer the other day I had forgotten about.
    I believe you just won the prize for the biggest forgotten tool. Hard to misplace one of those!
    Johanna
    Placitas, New Mexico

I moved 4 1/2 years ago and it is like Christmas around here every time I open a box and find something I forgot I owned. At this rate I'm going to need a bigger shop to house all of them!
    Mike Schnorr
    CNCs - Camaster Stinger (25"x36"x5"), Shopbot (4'x4'), Roland Modela (6"x8"x2 3/8")
    Laser Engravers - Epilog Legend (12"x24" - 25W)
    Embroidery Machines - SWF t1501C, Brother BAS-416, Renaissance, Melco EMC1, Melco EP1

I actually just found another one.
    I bought a Keen Kutter Miter, and saw, many years ago from a fellow Creeker'.
    Just this week I needed to cut a bunch of small 1/4" square parts from ebony. I actually started making a miter box jig to cut the parts with a backsaw, when I remembered that I already had one. First time I'd ever used it. Worked really well too.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I ahve purged my shop of most of what I do not use, so no, I do not.

I have a signifant head injury, but despite that i dont have (many) duplicates. Just chisels. And hammers. On and saws.
    Paul

If it's small tools, I don't mind (often prefer) redundancy because I don't want to go to the basement for a project in the garage, etc. So I have a number of duplicates wherever I need them. My problem is knowing I "have" something (especially if it's the only one I have) but dear family has loaned it and never thought about getting it back. If I need it, I buy a new one and the loaner can go chase the missing items.
    Last edited by al heitz; 09-07-2017 at 11:12 PM.