Thread: veneer stack cutting for marquetry

veneer stack cutting for marquetry

I am trying to improve my technique for veneer cutting for marquetry and keep running in to chip out/tear out on my stacks. I tried to find some tips and tricks, but seems that I always end up with a chipout at some point. Any input/links/articles would be helpful. Most of what I could find on the forum was helpful, but not on the specific issues I am encountering.

Thanks in advance,
    -Alex
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

Alex -- How are you building your stacks? Also, what size blade are using on the scroll saw ... assuming that is how you are cutting?

Check out David J Marks . He has some really good info on cutting marquetry and frequently answers question thru email.

Shipwright on Lumberjocks might be able to help you. He teaches classes on marquetry.

Also check out Paul Schurch. He has a video on marquetry that's very good.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I use application tape from Sign Warehouse on veneer. It almost completely prevents chipping/tearout and it is very easy to remove. Another big advantage is that you can write/draw on it easily.
    Johanna
    Placitas, New Mexico

Quote Originally Posted by Johanna Johanson View Post
    I use application tape from Sign Warehouse on veneer. It almost completely prevents chipping/tearout and it is very easy to remove. Another big advantage is that you can write/draw on it easily.
    Johanna - which of the application tapes do you use on veneer? Sign Warehouse carries a number of different types.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.