Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GRR-Ripper Push Block

GRR-Ripper Push Block

So, I finally bought one of these. Does it freak anyone else out that your fingers pass right over the blade on every cut? It's so engrained in me to keep my fingers far from the blade that I just can't get used to this push block. I realize that there is something between me and the blade, but that plastic isn't going to stop a blade if I somehow leave the blade set too high.

Just curious if anyone else had this thought?

Yeah, it's scary at first. But then I had been using a handle on a 2X4 sacrificial block with handle, and had the blade running thru it. Like most things, evaluate the risks and decide if YOU want to do it.
    BTW, if you want to sell your gripper.....(grin)
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

3. I've grown to really like the Gripper. I especially like the control at the end of the cut as both pieces disengage the blade.

It felt uneasy at first.
    I have 2 of them. IMHO, it’s the safest way to cut small pieces. Think each cut through and make sure not to set the blade higher than needed.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    Similar to any non-through cut on various machines, you sometimes run the push block over the cutter. The Grr-Ripper is a bit different in that it is designed to straddle the blade and ride over it with you hanging on. Like Mike and John I am a fan and have a couple of them with various doo-hickys that I use with them. The control of both parts as you pass and after you pass the blade is a big plus for me over other pushing devices. Also great for thin or small parts.

Grr-Ripper (1).jpgGrr-Ripper (2).jpgGrr-Ripper (4).jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have had my Grrippers save me from 3 serious (potentially) injuries. I LOVE them. As mentioned, scary at first, but the ONLY way to safely rip small stuff in my opinion. Buy one for your other hand.

Have one for each TS, a pair of the pads on each jointer and a set for the bandsaw. One of the best accessories I have bought.
    Last edited by Darcy Warner; 08-25-2017 at 12:01 AM.

For me it was just the opposite. I felt much safer from the day I started using them on the table saw. I also started using the on other tools, like my router table (for some types of jobs), and the jointer. I've owned one almost since they first appeared and then bought another later.

I love mine and couldn't imagine working without them again. I never had an unsafe feeling when first using them, I guess it just felt better knowing I was in control during the entire cut.
    Earl

Love 'em. I've just gotten in the habit of always leaning down and sighting through the "tunnel" before cutting.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Similar to any non-through cut on various machines, you sometimes run the push block over the cutter. The Grr-Ripper is a bit different in that it is designed to straddle the blade and ride over it with you hanging on. Like Mike and John I am a fan and have a couple of them with various doo-hickys that I use with them. The control of both parts as you pass and after you pass the blade is a big plus for me over other pushing devices. Also great for thin or small parts.

Grr-Ripper (1).jpgGrr-Ripper (2).jpgGrr-Ripper (4).jpg
    Glen, what is the piece of plywood on the bottom in the one picture.

I have Gripper's and really like them. They also have so great ones for use on the jointer and any place you are not making through cuts.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I think they are the best safety tool following safety glasses.....

Robert

I really like them for smaller part cuts.

Have 2 Micro Jig GRR-Rippers for the table saw and 2 GRR-Rip Block Smart Hooks for the Jointer.

Great investment!
    Frankie

I have a great Border Collie, she just can't hold her licker!

I bought one at a woodworking show, then quickly realized two would be better, so I bought a second one. There are cuts I can safely do on the table saw with the GRR-Rippers I wouldn't have even considered attempting before I got them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    Glen, what is the piece of plywood on the bottom in the one picture.

I have Gripper's and really like them. They also have so great ones for use on the jointer and any place you are not making through cuts.
    That is the small piece of stock that I'm routing. It is captured under the large shoe with the tail hook the pad of the gripper and the fence. Great control.

These devices definitely seem to have a love them or hate them response from people. I'm in the love them camp.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler