Thread: LV Holddown vs their Quick Release holddown

LV Holddown vs their Quick Release holddown

I have a couple of LV regular holddowns but was wondering about their newer quick release holddown with a shorter holding arm.

Has anyone had a chance to compare the side by ide as far as holding power? It may be my bench, but I could use some more holding power (it may have something to do with the fact I had to make aluminum sleeves to accommodate the 3/4" posts for the ulmia 1.2 inch dog holes)

Thoughts anyone?

Many Kind Regards . . . Allen
    Attached Images Attached Images
    No, the sky is not falling - just chunks of it are.

I have the regular hold downs and never felt the pressure was lacking. In fact, sometimes have to remember to not turn the screw too much. Purely based on screw based mechanism, I am pretty sure the quick hold down has no inherent advantage in terms of force applied compared to the regular one.

I think your problem is with your dog holes.

Blog Entries
    Both offer a more controlled pressure than whacking one with a mallet. I removed the grip/slip problem altogether by modifying a cheap HF F-style clamp.

holddown-3.jpgholddown-4.jpg

You can also do the same a litle less gracefully with Irwin QR clamps.

dog holes explained 013.jpg

Here I am actually using a couple to hold a backer underneath the bench for dog hole drilling but, you get the idea.

dog holes explained 016.jpg

The ragged hole in the lower left of the last pic shows why I needed the backer
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    I went through this same decision, and I chose the one with the brass knob on top. I am very happy with it. It's WAY more substantial than it looks in pictures. I did get to check out the "duck" one at Handworks, and although I didn't get to test it for holding power, I like the one I got better because you can screw the tension on and off gradually. I liked it so much that I bought a second one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    I went through this same decision, and I chose the one with the brass knob on top. I am very happy with it. It's WAY more substantial than it looks in pictures. I did get to check out the "duck" one at Handworks, and although I didn't get to test it for holding power, I like the one I got better because you can screw the tension on and off gradually. I liked it so much that I bought a second one.
    I agree, me too.

I've been using the Glenn Bradley/HF modification since he posted a picture some months ago, works great and I got the clamp for a buck.
    Rick