Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Dados

How many of us are using a radial arm saw for dado work? For years we have used a dedicated older Unisaw for all our dado work. I am looking into utilizing our older Dewalt 9" for this purpose

I used a radial arm saw for years; sometimes for dados. More often, I use a router for dados. I get flatter bottoms and smoother cuts with the router. Plus, the radial arm saw has it's drawbacks, but it does work for dados and cross-cutting best; just not the safest tool in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by John Gulick View Post
    How many of us are using a radial arm saw for dado work?
    I used an RAS for both for many (40?) years. It was a 12" turret type Delta which was accurate, though I wouldn't say "very" accurate. Probably about as accurate as my sliding miter. I loved it for crosscuts, fast removal of stock for tenons and crosscut dados on long shelving and such. My primary complaint with an RAS is that a board can lift, and when it lifts it gets closer to the blade which makes the cut too deep. The risk is especially present on any dado/rabbet but also other cuts like flat miters. Note that the same risks are present on a sliding miter, though we are more likely to hold the wood closer to the cut which minimizes the risk. Of course the sliding miter is not as flexible a tool since it doesn't do ripping. At least none that I've seen.

I find that job-site dados are now done with either a router or repeated cuts on a sliding miter followed up with a sharp chisel. Many years ago we used to actually bring the RAS to the job site (it was considered one of the more portable tools) but I haven't seen one on a job site in a long time.

(Note: probably should be a new thread instead of resurrecting this older one.)
    Last edited by Bill Adamsen; 10-16-2017 at 9:54 AM.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by John Gulick View Post
    How many of us are using a radial arm saw for dado work? For years we have used a dedicated older Unisaw for all our dado work. I am looking into utilizing our older Dewalt 9" for this purpose
    I have a 9" DeWalt MBF that I used for dados, but it was not super-accurate in depth across wide dados. Part of that could be the tiny, but still present "flex" in the cast iron arm/column/base. We are talking maybe 1/32" max, and it could have to do with either varied downward or upward pressure exerted by the operator. Using a router plane for final cleanup would likely make great dados in a non-production environment. In a production environment, I think a router would be more accurate depth-wise. (But then a router can cause some "fraying" along the edges that may need to be addressed. Everything's a compromise.

I like the RAS for the best trenching and dado cuts because its a climb cut and so chip free . Plus i can go 1.5" wide . You can’t expect old knackered radio alarm saw to cut this good ? they have to be completely rebuilt and tune to the tits Including the rail and bearings. If you’re getting creeping on your depth most likely the pillar is falling from vibration then you should put in what I have which is a bit of a lock on the rise and fall

Last edited by jack forsberg; 10-16-2017 at 9:30 PM.
    jack
    English machines