Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dados

Thanks for all the replies and info.

Doug, I haven't been able to look at or talk to anyone about the Dewalt 36-6020 (yet).
    Lowes didn't have a floor model and they had sold their 36-725 too when I wanted to take a second look at it.

It sounds like using a stack is a little bit preference.
    Especially for a casual hobbyist.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Sidley View Post
    How about you with Saw Stops is it worth getting the dado cartage?
    I have both and use both regularly. When it comes to cartridges I keep a spare of each. I haven't tripped the saw since I tried to cut some scrap UHMW that turned out to be static dissipating. Despite this I don't want to be stopped while I wait for a cartridge to show up. They don't go bad and I want to be able to swap out and keep going should I do something dumb again in the future ;-)

I also use a router for dadoes. I think you'll find a lot of people use both machines for that purpose based on what they're doing. For sheet goods which are often irregular, I prefer the router as the smaller base will floow the irregularities and give me a consistent depth cut. For taller/deeper dado-type cuts,

GnG Low CoD (290).jpg

a router falls short and a stack or multiple FTG blade cuts is the answer.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 08-25-2017 at 9:26 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I like the result better with a router. I think that which method is used, router or table saw, is mostly related to personal preference, whichever gives the individual woodworker the desired result. I don't think the capability to do a dado on a table saw is essential. I don't own a dado stack that will work on my current saw and do dadoes with my router and a jig.

I don't know how old you are, but I am ancient. Bending over into a table saw and getting a dado stack perfect thickness , especially if it has to have shims, takes a long time. Give me a router any day.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Michelle hit a mark very close to mine. I dislike arguing with the shims to get an exact fit. If I need an exact fit, I hog out the material with the dado undersized and without using shims. The I chuck a plywood bit or carbide spiral bit in the router and make a finish pass. This saves me time at the table saw with the dado blade and saves on removing all the material with the carbide bit (which is especially important if trying to make a dado in plywood as that seems to wreak havoc on the carbide cutting edges).

Now that I am more into woodworking, I don't think I would buy a table saw that could not accept dado blade. That may have been a time I would have, but that was also before WWing and joining the 'creek.

I don't know how old you are, but I am ancient
    I'm not old yet but can see it from where I'm standing.
    I don't like bending over either

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Foster View Post
    Thanks for all the replies and info.

Doug, I haven't been able to look at or talk to anyone about the Dewalt 36-6020 (yet).
    Lowes didn't have a floor model and they had sold their 36-725 too when I wanted to take a second look at it.

It sounds like using a stack is a little bit preference.
    Especially for a casual hobbyist.
    It depends on how many dadoes you need to make. Certainly you can do it with a single blade and multiple passes. The only difficulty with this is getting the width exactly correct. You can creep up on it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I bought a dado set when I was first starting woodworking and I've never used it.

Mike

I did the same thing, unfortunately since I have a sawstop I needed the buy the Dado break and a new Zero Learenec insert. Have considered putting the lot up for sale.

I just use a router. I have the Festool system, so I can cut Dados using a guide rail

Blog Entries
    From what I see on the internet, the Delta 36-6020 will take dado blades up to 13/16.

I use both. I like the router for a dado and the dado blades for a rabbet. I bought a cheap PC portable table saw just to keep dado blades on. This leaves my regular table saw free to use with standard blades.
    Last edited by Von Bickley; 08-25-2017 at 3:00 PM.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

If I were in your shoes, I would consider getting the saw with the Dado capacity. Why? Because many who get into woodworking tend to grow in their needs, few (but some do) downsize. The higher capable saw likely has a better fence and other things as well. Like most have mentioned, we tend to use both machines to cut a dado based on material size etc.. Plus a decent Dado set is less overall cost than all of the different sized, quality router bits needed.

I probably will, Ric.

I'm still undecided between 2 saws

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric Flanders View Post
    If I were in your shoes, I would consider getting the saw with the Dado capacity. Why? Because many who get into woodworking tend to grow in their needs, few (but some do) downsize. The higher capable saw likely has a better fence and other things as well. Like most have mentioned, we tend to use both machines to cut a dado based on material size etc.. Plus a decent Dado set is less overall cost than all of the different sized, quality router bits needed.
    Depends on the set. If you are investing in a set it might as well be a one time purchase (best you can afford). Router bits aren't that expensive considering the price if you drop a dado blade on the floor.etc...

Also remember once you set the table saw up with dado blades your saw is stuck till you remove them. Screw up a piece after this and your resetting it up again...

I use the table saw or shaper, I wouldn'tbuy a saw that couldn't take a dado cutter>>>Rod

As a corollary to my previous post. I think there are two levels of amateur. There are the amateurs that are not on the 'creek and there are the amateurs that are. In my mind, being on the 'creek makes you a more serious amateur. You know what a dado blade is and what it is used for, and are concerned the new saw will not accept it. Then I think your skills are greater than the saw in question.

I'm not saying the 'creek is the end-all, but it is a great place and if you know enough to join, post, and ask questions, then you are trying increase you knowledge, experience, and skills. If I was in this predicament, I would be concerned about the tool limiting what I can do, rather than me limiting what the tool can do (by lack of knowledge, experience, or skill).

I know it is easy to spend someone else's money. I'm just trying to provide a point of view or food for thought.

Thanks for that info on the creek