Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dados

Dados

Another of my dumb noob questions.

I have seen where people make dados with routers and just the regular blade on their table saw by making multiple passes without a dado head.

How important is the ability to use a dado head on a table to a casual hobbyist?
    The reason I ask is that one of the table saws I looked at Delta 36-6020?) does not take dado heads but is almost $200 cheaper than the other Delta or Dewalt I'm considering.

Thanks for your indulgence.

I am very interested to hear this answer, I am in the market for a new saw too and was wondering the exact same thing.

Would not have a saw then I couldn't do dados on, I do prefer the router
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

You can live without the ability to use a dado stack in your table saw if you have a router and a guide for it. Something like this (LINK). I think most who use dado stacks in there tables saws probably also use routers to make dados and rabbits as well. The two methods compliment each other.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Blog Entries
    I use both according to the size of the project. The only time I make a dado with multiple passes of a regular blade is when only one or two passes are needed. Anything wider than 1/4" I would use a dado blade or router bit.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

If you have another method of producing dado cuts (router for example), then you can certainly get by with the cheaper saw.

I bought a dado set when I was first starting woodworking and I've never used it.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Every need is different. Most of ours are done on a tablesaw. Next amount of usage is with a shaper. Ooccasionally we do it with a handheld router.

It all depends on what you're doing.

I have done dados with a router and the table saw. I prefer the table saw for a few reasons.

1. Ability to get an exact fit in one pass. With a router bit you only have certain widths or need to make multiple passes. Dado blades offer many more widths.
    2. Repeatability - I can set up the saw and then make multiple dados very easily. This is helpful when making multiple items. I use all the time with cabinets or shelving.
    3. Cost - price of one good dado blade set is lower then purchasing many different router bits.
    4. I prefer to move the wood and not the tool. It just seems easier to me and safer.

If it was me purchasing a new saw I think it is worth the money for one that accepts dado blades.

10. I've been using the table for dados for years. I've tried many router methods and never found one that I preferred over a table saw. There are certain instances when you need to use a router but not often for what I do.
    table saw is just faster and more easily repeatable for me.
    Last edited by Brandon Conover; 08-24-2017 at 9:19 PM.

I prefer dados on the table saw also for the reasons Todd listed. I have made them with a router if the piece is too awkward to take to the saw. I have also used the single blade to make dados if I don't have many to d and too lazy to break out the dado set.

How about you with Saw Stops is it worth getting the dado cartage?

Blog Entries
    Used both but haven't had the dado set out in years to be honest. A router in the table saw has worked fine....

If your a hobbyist you can definitely get by without a dado set...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Sidley View Post
    How about you with Saw Stops is it worth getting the dado cartage?
    We have the cartridge at work but will probably set the router up in the wing....

Larry & Brandon

When I had a TS, I much preferred using it to cut dados and grooves. I agree with what Todd and Brandon said earlier. Also, I cut lots of box joints on my TS and the dado stack was indispensable. Likewise for tenons. In addition to what Todd wrote, you get much more flexibility in the width of the dado. On the other hand, you can work around not having a dado stack. I no longer have a TS and I cut dados, box joints and tenons with a router or hand tools. Tearout on box joints and tenons is a problem when I cut them with a router but not when I cut them with a TS.

If I had a TS I would go back to my old ways, not just for auld lang syne. I think the results were better with a TS. Your mileage may vary.

Finally, the length of the blade arbor (shaft) on the TS you are looking at will not account for a $200 price difference. I suggest that you look deeper into the other differences between the saws.

Best regards

Doug