Thread: Conversation tree - Am I just stupid?

Conversation tree - Am I just stupid?

I am a member of many forums, but I have never been so confused trying to see new posts in a busy thread. I see there is a conversation "tree" that you can sort of click through, but there are many times I can click through every page of a thread and never see posts that are on the tree. It is like trying to incorporate the tree of places like reddit with a regular forum format. Is this just me? Am I doing it wrong, lol?

One of my favorites is tacomaworld. It is designed to encourage a quote/multiquote every time you want to respond to a particular post and just compresses the quote to a fixed size of about an inch that can be expanded if the viewer chooses, but the post are just laid out sequentially rather than a tree.

I use a laptop for viewing and I still find it hard to see all new posts in a busy thread. Even a plain reddit type (tree-only) would be easier than this hybrid approach.

I see that, also.
    In my case, I'm pretty sure there's no doubt.
    I am stupid.

Blog Entries
    Select "Display" in the upper right. Select "Linear Mode" to see all posts in a thread chronologically. This is my default viewing method.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Select "Display" in the upper right. Select "Linear Mode" to see all posts in a thread chronologically. This is my default viewing method.
    Thank you!

I got mine to show up right.
    Thanks for the tip, Noah.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah Magnuson View Post
    Thank you!
    That will work, but a long thread gets hopelessly tangled. But in the threaded or hybrid mode there are several shortcomings that make some messages difficult to find. And there is a bug which make some messages simply inaccessible. I'm hoping the new forum software will fix some of these things eventually.

JKJ

Yeah, like I said, my favorite is tacomaworld's forum mechanics. They even start you back where you left off on a thread even if you were looking at it weeks ago. But I am also a fan of the strictly threaded type like reddit where you just follow the conversations directly and it is rarely compressed. I can't stand the threaded type where there is a half line of preview and its all compressed. I can at least work with basic linear here without trouble, but this forum's hybrid and threaded mode is very difficult sometimes and people often don't even know where they are replying in the tree so it gets all jumbled up.

Blog Entries
    Also when you get ready to leave an SMC session go to "Forum Actions" and click "Mark Forums Read" and only those posts with new responses since your previous visit will show up.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute