Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sad tool day...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Ah, yes, but we need calipers that show fractions that are a power of 2, not a power of 10.
    I often use mine to give me the approximate dimension, for example when checking a drill bit. I can instantly see this one is about 11/16" rather than have to interpret .6897 if I'm not holding the caliper precisely. I suspect many of us "jogged" a digital fractional caliper a bit to have the fraction pop up in the display to see the closest fraction of an inch. The fractional analog dial caliper eliminates all that (AND doesn't need batteries!)

Just for fun, according to my mathematics dictionary, a fraction consists of a numerator and denominator, describing numbers with decimal points as "decimal equivalents to common fractions." Everyone keeps a mathematics dictionary handy, right? For those who have been desperately searching for a good one I recommend James and James.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    According to Murphy's Law: You'll find your old one, after you purchase the new one.
    Not before though. I could wait a month to purchase a replacement, expecting the lost to be found. Nope, not until there's a new one for the one in hiding to check out.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I often use mine to give me the approximate dimension, for example when checking a drill bit. I can instantly see this one is about 11/16" rather than have to interpret .6897 if I'm not holding the caliper precisely. I suspect many of us "jogged" a digital fractional caliper a bit to have the fraction pop up in the display to see the closest fraction of an inch. The fractional analog dial caliper eliminates all that (AND doesn't need batteries!)

Just for fun, according to my mathematics dictionary, a fraction consists of a numerator and denominator, describing numbers with decimal points as "decimal equivalents to common fractions." Everyone keeps a mathematics dictionary handy, right? For those who have been desperately searching for a good one I recommend James and James.

JKJ
    All I know is that I was taught (at a formative age) about "common fractions", and that's how I continue to visualize their equivalent distances. (The part about not needing batteries is a big bonus.)

Equally just for fun, how do you say .035? Most people who deal in numbers like that to measure something say "35 thousandths" - thus articulating the implied denominator. People who say "point zero three five" are probably not craftsmen or women thinking about a measurement, but someone to whom the number is more of an abstraction.

I like the power of 2 fractions for woodworking, until I have to space out hinges or other regular repeating features. Then I reach for the metric rule with its very conveniently dividable decimal fractions.

I have two Starretts, because one started slipping it's gears and was no longer usable. So I bought a new one, which gave me the courage to fully disassemble the first, which turned out to need only cleaning and adjustment.

But my favorite awl has been missing for three weeks. I know it's in the shop. I can even remember putting it down and thinking, "I'll never find it there if I don't pick it up when I'm done with this hinge." I was right.

Thanks for all of the comments everyone.

My caliper is still MIA. I think it may be gone as I sometimes take it to the big box stores. I thought my last use was here working on my house.

Igaging owners - Does it have smooth operations? My first caliper, Amtos, is not all that smooth. It is really hard to move it like 1/64". Maybe not as good of gears as the Starrett, I would miss that operation. I just want an accurate tool with quality built in.

If I replace it, I might consider a nice used one.

Can anyone give feedback on Oshlun calipers?
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 08-26-2017 at 3:24 PM.
    Sometimes decisions from the heart are better than decisions from the brain.

Enjoy Life...

I went to HF about 6 months ago when I wanted to buy a 6" digital caliper. I opened up 8 boxes to find the best one. about 1/3 were good enough. the others too sticky or sloppy to feel right. it came down to two that felt just as good as one another. all the rest felt much worse.
    HF digital calipers actually get good accuracy reviews but Mitoyo calipers batteries last a year or two longer. HF batteries last 6-12 months.
    Bill D.

I have used many pairs of the ~$20 napa auto parts / harbor freight / amazon calipers and find them to be quite adequate and smooth enough for woodworking at home and machine design at work. I have taken many pairs to our gage calibration department and found them to be +/- 0.001." I have also trashed a few pairs in the field and find it way to easy to throw them away compared with sending my similarly damaged Mitutoyo set back for an expensive repair.

Mine is a Wixey digital and I have had it for about 5 years. It has been very reliable and I would buy another if it died or walked away. It displays the fraction if you are within a few thousandths of it, so it helps to know the decimal equivalent of the fraction if you need it to be exact. https://www.amazon.com/Wixey-WR100-D...=wixey+caliper

Charley

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demuth View Post
    Equally just for fun, how do you say .035? Most people who deal in numbers like that to measure something say "35 thousandths" - thus articulating the implied denominator. People who say "point zero three five" are probably not craftsmen or women thinking about a measurement, but someone to whom the number is more of an abstraction.
    In my head I actually usually say "point oh three five"; out loud I might say "point zero three five". But when working on the metal lathe or mill or on vehicles or mechanical things, I usually find it easier to think in thousandths.

I once I had a couple of guys laugh at me at a facility where we were building uranium-bearing elements for nuclear test reactors. When asked a measurement I said "three point zero inches", as precise as I could get it with the scale in my hand. They thought it was so dumb to add the zero. Apparently they did not have digits of precision pounded into the brain in science and engineering classes. In the wood and machine shop, we do favor the English fractions and "thousandths".

Powers of two, of course, are the norm in software engineering. At one time I was able to convert between binary/hex and decimal - that is long gone!

I also find myself measuring in metric far more than I used to. I've gotten where I have started to think in metric for smaller things and can make a pretty good eyeball estimate in millimeters and centimeters. Milliliters/cc's for sure, from giving shots to livestock. Kilograms and kilometers, not so much although I continue to try. I think my brain is starting to solidify.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Fries View Post
    Thanks for all of the comments everyone.

My caliper is still MIA. I think it may be gone as I sometimes take it to the big box stores. I thought my last use was here working on my house.

Igaging owners - Does it have smooth operations? My first caliper, Amtos, is not all that smooth. It is really hard to move it like 1/64". Maybe not as good of gears as the Starrett, I would miss that operation. I just want an accurate tool with quality built in.

If I replace it, I might consider a nice used one.

Can anyone give feedback on Oshlun calipers?
    The PEC is smoother than the iGaging.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Happy tool day!!

Some people are awesome!

Went to Menards tonight and someone had turned in my caliper to the lost and found.

Got it back in the shop YAY!

Enjoy Life...

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Fries View Post
    Happy tool day!!
    Some people are awesome!
    Went to Menards tonight and someone had turned in my caliper to the lost and found.
    Got it back in the shop YAY!
    Woo Hoo! Bless the honest man, Diogenes can go home now!

I'm excited for you. I think I'd kiss that baby and put it to bed in a little wooden box. Stay up late to make the box if needed. Maybe get a cheap caliper to take to Menards!

JKJ

I'm really glad you got your calipers back!!

Just a little miffed that you lost them though, it cost me 20 bucks!
    (reading the string I couldn't help but order the iGaging one that was mentioned)
    Frankie

I have a great Border Collie, she just can't hold her licker!

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Woo Hoo! Bless the honest man, Diogenes can go home now!

I'm excited for you. I think I'd kiss that baby and put it to bed in a little wooden box. Stay up late to make the box if needed. Maybe get a cheap caliper to take to Menards!

JKJ
    Thanks John. I feel very lucky to get it back. I will be using my old one for future shopping.

Enjoy Life...