Thread: Sand Blasting Wedge of Crystal?

Sand Blasting Wedge of Crystal?

I have a “vertical wedge” of crystal to sandblast a large amount of text and a logo onto.
    Reverse engraved optical crystal is stunning, especially when using multiple layers. The problem I have is that I am not sure about reverse engraving a “wedge” in case the text etc is distorted when read from the front surface which is at an 80 degree angle compared to the rear 90 degree (vertical) surface. The base is 30mm deep and the top 8mm deep.
    Am I imagining a problem that does not exist? What do the rest of you do?
    Thanks very much, John

Screen Shot 2017-08-25 at 18.16.38.png
    60w EFI 6090 & 100w Z4 Reci 6090 G Weike Lasers, 4 X 4 CNC Router
    CLTT using Oki C822dn & Adkins Press
    Glass Sandblasting, Woodwork Shop, etc...
    V Carve Pro v8 & Photo V Carve, Lasercut 5.3, Corel Draw 2017 on Windows 7 and iMac (via Parallels), etc

I think you are imaging a problem. Print it on paper, put it behind it and see how it reads. I don't think it's going to be any issue at all.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

It will be fine. I have lasered/sandcarved, and UV printed quite of few of those.

Thanks to both of you. Much appreciated

Is your concern about how to level the surface so the item will laser flat. Or the optical effect of looking through a glass surface..

Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Trotec Speedy C25, Newing-Hall 350 (AMC I & HPGL), NH-CG-30 (Carbide Cutter Sharpener)
    Sawgrass 400 Gel Ink Printer, CS5, 5/9/x6 CorelDraw

Hi Mark, it was the possibility of optical distortion. I have done the masks now, so will sand blast this afternoon.
    Thanks and regards, John
    60w EFI 6090 & 100w Z4 Reci 6090 G Weike Lasers, 4 X 4 CNC Router
    CLTT using Oki C822dn & Adkins Press
    Glass Sandblasting, Woodwork Shop, etc...
    V Carve Pro v8 & Photo V Carve, Lasercut 5.3, Corel Draw 2017 on Windows 7 and iMac (via Parallels), etc