Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Harvey

Lowell, sure hope you're ok

We're all thinking of you Sir.
    Fred

One somewhat sad thought is that many people moved from New Orleans to Houston after Katrina. They got jobs, bought a house, put their kids in school, etc. And now, those people have been flooded out again and lost everything for a second time.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

The Red Cross is taking donations to help the victims of Harvey Help if you can
    https://www.redcross.org/donate/hurr...FVV6YgodLTsBNg
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    The Red Cross is taking donations to help the victims of Harvey Help if you can
    https://www.redcross.org/donate/hurr...FVV6YgodLTsBNg

I have read many articles to say donate to a Huston local church or other charity. They people get help faster that way. When I was at Kent State riots the Salvation Army was the better charity they provided food and shelter along with news papers for free The Red Cross charged for everything.

I searched for ," Flooding Dickinson Texas," came up with many U tube videos of what Lowell is going through. It does not look good for the people of Dickinson.
    Lowell, and the people of Houston area are in my thoughts and prayers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    I have read many articles to say donate to a Huston local church or other charity. They people get help faster that way. When I was at Kent State riots the Salvation Army was the better charity they provided food and shelter along with news papers for free The Red Cross charged for everything.
    PLEASE DONATE TO LOCAL ORGANIZATIONS!

I was in Haiti immediately following the earthquake and was appalled at the inefficiency, wastefulness and overall ineptitude of the Red Cross. I could elaborate for pages on how much money was wasted and how little actual help they provided.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McNiel View Post
    PLEASE DONATE TO LOCAL ORGANIZATIONS!

I was in Haiti immediately following the earthquake and was appalled at the inefficiency, wastefulness and overall ineptitude of the Red Cross. I could elaborate for pages on how much money was wasted and how little actual help they provided.
    We made a trip out of state to help with flooding a little while back. We were out working and the Red Cross was driving through giving sandwiches to THE WORKERS. I'm sorry to say this, but while I'm sure they truly meant well, I preferred them to help the victims. I took it to mean they had plenty of money and didn't need mine. YMMV.

The folks who really impressed me were several big Churches (incl Billie Graham's IIRC), who brought large mobile kitchens and were feeding victims who were without power, etc. The restorative power of a hot meal can be an amazing morale boost for people in trauma.

(We ate MREs to make sure there was plenty for the victims.)
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 08-30-2017 at 2:14 PM.

Blog Entries
    I had a scary thought, so I googled "nuclear power plant Houston" and sure enough- there is one, and it's right by the water. It is apparently at 29 feet above sea level.

image.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    I had a scary thought, so I googled "nuclear power plant Houston" and sure enough- there is one, and it's right by the water. It is apparently at 29 feet above sea level.

image.jpg
    From the local paper: "The plant site is located 10 miles inland and at an elevation of 29 feet, well above the reach of even a Category 5 storm surge. The plant was designed with watertight buildings and doors to keep emergency electric power and cooling systems fully functional. All buildings housing safety equipment are flood-proof to an elevation of at least 41 feet above mean sea level."

They shut down at wind speeds >73 MPH. Also, fairly certain it is not like Fukushima in some significant ways: The spent/spare fuel rods are not stored on top of the reactor, and their back-up generators are not fueled from diesel tanks exposed to the sea.
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 08-31-2017 at 10:42 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    From the local paper: "The plant site is located 10 miles inland and at an elevation of 29 feet, well above the reach of even a Category 5 storm surge. The plant was designed with watertight buildings and doors to keep emergency electric power and cooling systems fully functional. All buildings housing safety equipment are flood-proof to an elevation of at least 41 feet above mean sea level."

They shut down at wind speeds >73 MPH. Also, fairly certain it is not like Fukushima in some significant ways: The spent/spare fuel rods are not stored on top of the reactor, and their back-up generators are not fueled from diesel tanks exposed to the sea.
    I read another article that said it was built to withstand a 41 foot surge, but it also said that localized flooding of 12 feet would be damaging. In the end we have to trust the engineers and the builders!

Hopefully a non-issue, but seems silly to locate something like this in that area.

https://consortiumnews.com/2017/08/3...eston-bio-lab/

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Johnson View Post
    Hopefully a non-issue, but seems silly to locate something like this in that area.

https://consortiumnews.com/2017/08/3...eston-bio-lab/
    That's much worse than the chemical plant exploding.

Nathan,

A nuclear power plant has to be in the vicinity of a major water source. They require massive amounts of water per minute to provide secondary cooling.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Nathan,

A nuclear power plant has to be in the vicinity of a major water source. They require massive amounts of water per minute to provide secondary cooling.
    Sorry, my post included a link to a bio-lab in Galveston. I wasn't referencing a nuclear plant.

Reassuring that y'all have the nuclear-biological-chemical dangers well worried about. I'll focus on my terror that somebody needs to legislatively restrain the unremitting, rampant, socially irresponsible, explosive growth in the the size of my Big Gulp! I - - simply - - - can't - - - - resist!

Lowell, I hope this finds you safe and dry.