Thread: nova question

nova question

What is the difference between a nova 1624 with the DVR upgrade and a galaxi?

The 1624 is on sale for 850 at woodcraft, but even at full price the lathe plus the upgrade is under $1,700 which is nearly $1000 less than the galaxi. What am I missing?

I'm not familiar with the 1624 though I've owned a NOVA DVR XP for several years now and just spent some time comparing the two. The only significant difference between the DVR and the Galaxy is the Galaxy has a sliding headstock. Whereas that's the only significant difference I can discern, I readily admit, that's the single thing I do wish my DVR was capable of. Hope this was of some help to you...

Quote Originally Posted by John Grace View Post
    I'm not familiar with the 1624 though I've owned a NOVA DVR XP for several years now and just spent some time comparing the two. The only significant difference between the DVR and the Galaxy is the Galaxy has a sliding headstock. Whereas that's the only significant difference I can discern, I readily admit, that's the single thing I do wish my DVR was capable of. Hope this was of some help to you...
    Very helpful thank you

The 1624 will come with the hybrid stand, the Galaxi with the cast iron stand. The previously mentioned sliding headstock. The cost with the upgrade is about 1400 for the 1624 and I think the Galaxi is in the $2000 range. The Galaxi will have 44" of between centers room, the 1624 is 24" until you buy the 300 dollar extension. So it's up to 1700 now. If it were me, and I was set on that tool, I'd probably spend a little more for the Galaxi vs the pieced together 1624 with upgrade and extension, which is what I currently own. I do like it, but apples to apples I'd spend the extra couple hundred for the solid piece, cast iron base with travelling headstock.
    USMC '97-'01

I do not own a Nova, rather a 3520b. However, my fist lathe did not have the sliding head like the 3520b does and I would never go back. The sliding head is worth whatever it costs, to me anyway. I start bowls in the middle of the bed like a spindle turner turning a spindle. As soon as the bowl is reversed and ready to be hollowed I am working off the end of the bed with no obstructions in the way of the tool handle.

The galaxies has wider and heaver bed-ways. It is beefier than the 1624. Go look and put hands on deferent lathes.
    C&C WELCOME