Thread: The Woodworker, The Charles Haywood Years

Blog Entries

The Woodworker, The Charles Haywood Years

A book I ordered and forgot about. It came today.
    Unfortunately it's damp because of the Gulf Coast storm going on, but it will dry.

I ordered it online. It was edited by Chris Swartz. It covers many, many, many subjects, The first page number in the book is 464, the last is 888.

It talks about shangles, kertfing, parliament hinges, molding around a curved corner. . .

I think I will enjoy the book after it dries out.

Here's hoping that you, your family, friends and neighbors escape the worst of the storm flooding.
    David

Blog Entries

11pm Saturday

It is raining in Dickinson now. We are all dry, safe, and have no reason to go out.
    My Black Lab is on the floor beside me. We are not in danger of dangerous flooding
    at Our house. If we were closer to Dickinson Bayou, we might be.
    Thanks for your thoughts.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    It is raining in Dickinson now. We are all dry, safe, and have no reason to go out.
    My Black Lab is on the floor beside me. We are not in danger of dangerous flooding
    at Our house. If we were closer to Dickinson Bayou, we might be.
    Thanks for your thoughts.
    Glad to hear you are dry and safe.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Lowell,

Good on you, I hope it all goes well. Many years ago when Alicia went through Houston my hone was in the Brays Bayou area. I had a great time with no chance of a "pop up" trip, a girl friend was over, there were many bottles of whisky and a blender involved, and we spent the time watching the storm go by. BTW, the eye went directly over the house with no damage just lots of wind and rain. About a week later a neighbor woke me with a knock on the door and telling me my BMW was floating down the Bayou. Sure 'oungh it was. Within minutes of confirming a BMW could float I had three feet of water in the house. Needless to say I didn't have time to save much.

ken

PS. I have all the volumes and all are an interesting read, I would still have woodworking mag subscriptions if current mags were as well written.

Lowell,
    My wife and I were in Dickinson earlier today; we moved from there last year. It was devastating to see the damage! Did you make it through, or are you on the west side? My thoughts and prayers go out to our former neighbors in Dickinson!

OK, Lowell, you've got me intrigued: what are shangles, and are they curable? And how is kertfing different from kerfing?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Houghton View Post
    OK, Lowell, you've got me intrigued: what are shangles, and are they curable? And how is kertfing different from kerfing?
    Those are new to me, too.

Do we know if Lowell is alright? I am sure he has bigger fish to fry. But he hasn't posted since his last post in this thread.
    There's never enough time to do it right, but there's always enough time to do it over.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Dean View Post
    Do we know if Lowell is alright? I am sure he has bigger fish to fry. But he hasn't posted since his last post in this thread.
    Probably just busy.

Havent seen anything from him.

I initially starting reading this thread on account of "The Woodworker".....

It is worrisome that Lowell has dropped out. Google says parts of Dickinson are flooded.

Do we have other SMC folks affected?

(All 4 volumes are great.)
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

Power and internet probably not working. Somebody said after Rita there were parts of Texas that were out of power for a month.

From the news, it looks like damage is terrible, but thankfully loss of life seems to be relatively low.

i have been in Dickinson, over the last several days, and the town was completely devastated. I would be willing to bet that well over 50% of the homes and few small businesses had several feet of water inside of them. Much of the town had to be evacuated by boat, at 3 in the morning.

I seem to remember one of his books....rather small in size. Wearing a sweater vest and a tie. Had all the joints, and how to use them.....just had to translate for British "English" to American English in my head....even in the "Tool List"