Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Combination Square

I have a bunch of Starrett Squares, a couple Scherr Tumico squares, Lufkin, Brown and Sharpe and Union Tool. Starrett has the best attention to detail, but all are very good. I like my Union the best.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Smira View Post
    Are the PEC blems (or even PEC non blems) offered in metric? Slowly finding myself switching over to metric. mm lines are easier to see for me than 1/16th lines. Also, to me, math is easier.
    An argument for the ages .

From their web page:

Graduations Syles

• 4R: 8ths & 16ths, 32nds & 64ths
    • 16R: 32nds & 64ths, 50ths & 100ths
    • Metric: mm & 0.5mm both sides
    • English/Metric: 0.5mm & 32nds, mm & 64ths
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Smira View Post
    Are the PEC blems (or even PEC non blems) offered in metric? Slowly finding myself switching over to metric. mm lines are easier to see for me than 1/16th lines. Also, to me, math is easier.
    I have seen PEC belm on eBay in metric. Search for "PEC combination square" and if there are any, they will come up.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    This thread brought back a memory. Couple summers back at local flea market was looking at a Brown and Sharp combination square. Vendor wanted $3.00 for it, which I paid. Then he told me I was lucky, because if it was a Stanley, he wouldn't taken less than $10.00.
    Geez, how come I never find good stuff like that?
    Johanna
    Placitas, New Mexico

I can't recommend Epstein's site enough. I bought a 24" solid machinst square (about 10lbs), a 6" machinist sq, 12" adj sq, 6" combo, straight edge...all for $135 inc $16 shipping. The PEC stuff they sell is very nice.

I have 5 Starrett's, two 24" ones, all with centering heads and protractor, but my favorites are my old Lufkin ones made in Saginaw MI. Just have a soft spot for old Lufkin stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Johnson View Post
    Thanks for the heads up on this. Just ordered the 33H.
    Should be an upgrade over my Empire.
    Curious. Have you checked your Empire for square? I'm sure they won't stay accurate as long as Starrett or Brown & Sharp but how far off is it? Most Empire stuff is (or was) made in Mukwonago, WI.

Actually, it isn't bad at all. It served me well on my bench build, and it will remain in the stable as a second/backup option. But at almost 1/2 off, I had to order the Starrett.

Make your grandfather proud by just making a new locking bolt. I had a Stanley combo square locking bolt (not a 50 year old square like yours) break on me and I just got a 1/4" SS bolt, a hacksaw, and a file and made a new one. Better than new.

Wayne

I recently came across a vintage (probably from the '60's) Craftsman combo square at a garage sale for $1.50. Solid, accurate and the right price. I had been using a modern Empire, I know and cannot use one of the three Starrett combo's cause they are too valuable. Guess I'm an old cheapskate at heart

It's not hard to fix an out of square combination square

The 60's Craftsman is likely a Tumico product. If in good shape, you did very well.

This might be heresy, but Stumpy Nubs recently did a review of the iGauging set. For reference, he compared it to Starrett and, while it wasn't quite as good, it seemed pretty close. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Broder View Post
    This might be heresy, but Stumpy Nubs recently did a review of the iGauging set. For reference, he compared it to Starrett and, while it wasn't quite as good, it seemed pretty close. Thoughts?
    They look like a nice set of tools. Definitely a little cheaper, price wise, than Starrett's. One thing you get with Starrett is NIST traceability, not sure with iGauging.What this means is that a Starrett can be used as a reference standard, as long as it's NIST traceability is maintained. This is a significant piece of the price a person pays for Starrett tools.
    Starrett makes a quality tool, and have for over a hundred years. A person wouldn't go wrong buying Starrett, but there are other options for folks that don't quite need machinist's accuracies.
    As long as any square can be adjusted square, and are taken care of, there is no reason to believe that they wouldn't be just fine.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by John Gornall View Post
    It's not hard to fix an out of square combination square
    Please describe.

thanks