Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Combination Square

Combination Square

I have used my grandfather's combination square forever. The guide lock for the blade finally broke. Seems that all that is out there is cheap aluminum. I want one that it is iron and steel. (iron body). Got any recommendations?

2. The Starrett squares are cast iron.

The good Starrett combination squares are forged not cast:

http://www.leevalley.com/us/Wood/pag...51&cat=1,42936

I have a Starrett combo square and love it. Edit: Like JKJ said below, mine was about $120 and another $40 for the center finding head.

If you don't want to spend that much money, look at the harry epstein tool company site. They offer PEC, which seems to have a good overall reputation. (I have PEC double squares and lm very pleased. Others have said similar things.) Epstein sells "blemished" PECs and that can save you money.

Good luck!
    Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 08-26-2017 at 6:38 PM.

I have a half dozen combination squares. I have one Starrett combination square. It is FAR better than any of the others in construction, smoothness of operation, and readability of the numbers. The one I got was about $100.

JKJ

Hi,

I was about to order a couple things from Epstein but gave up when I saw the shipping was $14+

I thought $7 was a more reasonable amount. My loss their loss...
    Last edited by Bill Space; 08-26-2017 at 6:45 PM.
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

You didn't say what brand combo square you have. If it's one of the big old names like Starrett, Brown & Sharp, Lufkin, etc I'd check ebay and see if I couldn't just buy that part from someone. You see people selling combo square parts from time to time.

Blog Entries
    Also have a Starrett and like it. I reach for my PEC more often though. Actually has a better feel and smoother operation. I have not bothered to fettle the Starrett however and it would probably smooth out nicely with just a touch of effort.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Space View Post
    Hi,

I was about to order a couple things from Epstein but gave up when I saw the shipping was $14+

I thought $7 was a more reasonable amount. My loss their loss...
    Agree. Looks like their rates have gone up since I ordered a few months back. I just input the address of a friend in a Pittsburgh suburb and got $9.75 for 2 day priority mail. Still a tad high for my taste, but not very far out of normal.

Years ago I had a Starrett combination square with a broken hook that would not hold the grooved ruler. I called them and they were helpful,sent me a new part. I think I got the part quickly ,and the small bill later.

Buy once cry once. I have two Starretts and they have been gold for over twenty years. I had a cheap one like yours that gave up the ghost and I welded up the lock and re-machined it because it had sentimental value to me. Wax the blade and lock, it helps a bunch!

Look also at the Mitutoyo combination squares. They are the equal or better than Starrett. Very smooth operation.

You can sometimes find one on eBay at a reasonable price.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

To clarify - Starrett offers 2 versions of combination squares. The LV page Doug posted is the standard cast iron squares. The LV page I posted is a different page showing the premium forged steel squared. The pages look the same but check the price lines.

This thread brought back a memory. Couple summers back at local flea market was looking at a Brown and Sharp combination square. Vendor wanted $3.00 for it, which I paid. Then he told me I was lucky, because if it was a Stanley, he wouldn't taken less than $10.00.