Thread: Stanley no. 110?

Stanley no. 110?

Do you have this plane, and what do you use it to ?

I just bought an old one on the internet, but now I wonder what to use it for
    Best regards

Lasse Hilbrandt

Hi Lasse,
    I don't know if this helps, but Patrick Leach's webite describes to 110 as a very popular block plane.. Page down through this link until you see the #110.
    Fred

Blog Entries
    Old is a bit relative. If it is real old, it is more of a collector plane. If it is medium old or recent old, it can be used though it can be a bit tricky to set the blade depth.

The recent old have a stamped piece of metal for the tensioner on the lever cap. Older models have a cast wheel to tighten the lever cap. Real old models have a lever cap that looks akin to a shoe buckle or they have a star. These might be what collectors dream about finding.

The #110 can be used, but it isn't something most users dream about for a block plane.

I have its little brother, a #102 found in a bucket at a Habitat For Humanity Restore marked $2.50. It gets used occasionally for breaking sharp edges and other small work.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

It has the cast wheel. I bought on occasion and dont think I will be using it a lot
    Best regards

Lasse Hilbrandt