Thread: 6 inch steel faceplates

Question 6 inch steel faceplates

Doing some larger stuff and I'm trying to find a 6 inch steel faceplate for a Powermatic 3520B. (1 1/4 x 8TPI). Not interested in aluminum. It seems that Oneway has gone to cast iron unless you get the Versamount system which requires you to buy a coupling in addition to the faceplate. There's one from Maxwood that has lousy reviews and isn't designed to fit the 3520B (Length of spindle nose is 1.264". Thickness of faceplate is 1.211" so the spindle nose protrudes.) Are decent 1 1/4 x 8 tpi steel faceplates still made by anyone? Just as soon not use an 1" to 1 1/4" adapter unless I have to. Should I just go with the Oneway cast iron? Any advantages/disadvantages.

I only use ONEWAY Faceplates and have done some very large projects with them.
    powermatic makes a 7 inch Faceplates that looks nice. I think it is also cast iron.
    Good luck finding one.

Nova makes one but I am not sure if you will have the same problem or not.
    http://novatoolsusa.com/150mm-6-Cast...?categoryId=-1
    The Woodturning Store did have/carry a ground flat washer for the PM90 because a normal chuck could not be used. Not sure if they have one for other PM lathes or not but may be worth a call....seems they were about $7.
    The bad reviews (2) on Amazon for Maxwood seemed to be mostly about not fitting PM lathes
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

The 7" powermatic is available on ebay for $69. It looks steel to me rather than cast. Anyway, I just purchased one so I'll know in a few days.

Another option is the PM 90 faceplate with a 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 insert. I had an extra that I didn't sell with my PM 90 that I use.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Jim, if you decide to go with cast iron after all, Grizzly has a decent one for $27.50, sold only as a spare/replacement part. It's what ships as the standard face plate on their G0766 lathe. 6" overall (technically 153mm) with 1-1/4" x 8 tpi threads. Handle very large, heavy pieces. Should work ok on your 3520B without any adapter or insert. It's not listed in their regular catalogue. You'd order part no. P0766026.

Jim - What's the concern with cast iron? - John

Quote Originally Posted by Jim LaRocca View Post
    Doing some larger stuff and I'm trying to find a 6 inch steel faceplate for a Powermatic 3520B. (1 1/4 x 8TPI).
    https://www.amazon.com/Steel-Wood-La.../dp/B003THYIFO

http://bestwoodtools.stores.yahoo.net/faceplates.html

I know Best Wood Tools things are high quality. It's a one-man operation so you might have to wait a bit to get one made. He may be willing to make it any way you want it.

JKJ

Jim,

Why the concern with aluminum ? I thought the Carter ones are well regarded.

Rich