Thread: Japanese Style Tool Box

Japanese Style Tool Box

The last item to be finished of the portable workshop is the tool box. I finished cleaning it up last night, as much as it will be "cleaned up" it is a tool box don'tchknow, and put a coat of Danish Oil on the outside. Today comes the hard part....Deciding what tools to take. Too many and the tool box becomes unwieldy and too heavy to be "portable", Too few and either the "work arounds" take the pleasure out of making or even the project becomes dead in the water.

The list leads off with a couple of planes, I expect a #3 and a #5 with two cutter sets. A chisel roll with 1/4" through 1" plus at least one paring chisel. A couple or three saws, I have not decided between Japanese or Western, there are advantages to each. Marking stuff, squares, knifes, winding sticks, tapes, rules, and so on. Rabbet plane, plough plane, router plane....Anyway you get the idea. A couple of bench appliances like a bench hook also need to find a place as well.

Of course all this may be unnecessary because the bench and tool box may end up being a table and accessory to hold the whisky glass every evening .

Anyway here are a couple of photos of the tool box, click 'em to big 'em:

japaneseToolBoxWithLid170827dscf2004.jpg

With the lid open:

japaneseToolBoxOpen170827dscf2005.jpg

ken

Better hurray you'll need two!
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    Better hurray you'll need two!
    Jim
    James,

I know,The rule is "if it doesn't fit it doesn't go". now to see if I can stick to rule. I know in labor disputes the quickest way to win is not with pickets but with "working to rule". This time I'm both management and labor, we will see who wins .

ken

Blog Entries
    Cool! Does a try plane fit?
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Cool! Does a try plane fit?
    Brian,

Yes, I sized it to fit both a #8 and a Western panel saw. I expect on this trip the longest plane will be a #5 and the largest saw will be a Western large tenon or a Ryoba. This will be more of a proof of concept rather than a making something trip and anything I work on will probably be a small box or two made from HD pine.

ken

Ken,

Looking at the size of the tool box, compared to the bench, and what you said about it holding a try plane or a panel saw, the box looks to pretty good sized. You ought to be able to put plenty of stuff in it.

On the trip I made to one of the kids houses a while back, I made a list of tools to take, and then when I got back I checked off the tools I actually used. (I ended up working on cabinets.) You might do the same.

It looks like you may have your answer to the "portable tool box" question, I am still working on mine. I am thinking about a post on "what tools do you take with you for working on general carpentry on the road?" One of those deals I end up doing when I don't know exactly what I am going to be working on, except in the most general way.

Next time I will have the list. It will be interesting to see what ends up being most useful. For what it's worth, you list some of the same stuff I took.

Anyway, good job, looks like you got it all done in time, and are now ready to go, after you get stuff in the tool box and get it and the bench loaded up.

Stew