Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Articulated Hollowing Systems

Articulated Hollowing Systems

I started reading last year about all sorts of hollowing systems and the one that just kept getting my attention was the Monster Hollowing System. I liked that it appeared to be very stout and that even though it attached to the bed of the lathe one could to some degree use it on a lathe with the headstock rotated (my lathe has a rotating headstock). But its an expensive system so every month I set aside a little bit of money so that one day I can get it. I was just trying to get back to Monster's web site and it no longer exists. I tried their phone number and its disconnected, I had a few questions I wanted to ask. So with them appearing to be out of business what other options are there for a similar system? I think I would prefer an articulating system similar to the Monster but I'm not opposed to a captive system such as what D-Way and Lyle Jamieson have. Just wondering what some good alternatives to the Monster would be, first hand experience feedback is always greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Damon McLaughlin; 08-28-2017 at 3:19 AM.

I too was looking at the Monster system. I was able to demo the Monster thanks to John Keeton. However in the end I decided on the Simon Hope system from U.K. I haven't used it much since I got it, but like it so far. Very well built. I have the camera system and like it. It is similar priced to the Monster. It comes with 3/4" bars, straight and curved. It also comes with one Hunter style carbide cutter and one disk scrapper. I also got what he calls the "old" style 5/8" bar with straight and curved inserts, both with Hunter style carbide cutters. It has a extra short arm when compared to the Monster and you can offset the system. Price wise it was about the same as the Monster even with shipping from U.K. One of the many advices I received was to get a 1" boring bar. Hope doesn't offer that, so eventually I will get one from Jamison. The other system I liked was the Trent Bosch system, but that was more costly.
    i received the system in abou a week after ordering.

I was playing around to see how thin I could go unsung the system and I got this piece down to 0.030-0.035", 5-1/2" tall and 4" wide. Some type of box elder, but red is dye I added.
    IMG_1011.JPG

Simon Hope system

IMG_1002.JPG

Offset base

IMG_0738.jpg

Extra short arn

IMG_1004.JPG

5/8 old style bar and 3/4 straight bar 3/4 curved bar not shown

IMG_1006.JPG
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

I have a Gizmo system by JT turning for sale in classifieds'.i thing it is more robust than the monster and is practically new.Let me know if you want to see pictures .System sells new for $900.00+. Jerry

It is a very personal decision as there are many great systems.

I wanted one that had a similar motion and feel as hand hollowing (or as close as possible). I ended up buying a Trent Bosch Stabilizer. It stabilizes the tool, but the tool motion is similar as hand work.

By fluke, I ended up with a Vermec hollowing system that I also like. Have no favorite between them. Both systems stabilize the tool.

Trent Bosch video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPqZz-PDa4A
    Vermec video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jRKYXilvuM

I liked the clark system quite a bit, but I don't do large things right now. I am just starting to play.
    Last edited by Michael Schneider; 08-29-2017 at 10:23 AM. Reason: add video links

If you have more money than time or metal skills, you got good advice from previous replies.

If you enjoy making your own tools, Google the Captain Eddie Castelin Snake Hollower. He has plans on his website and I think a You-tube video. I made one out of solid 1" square steel stock. Mine mounts into a banjo with a 1" diameter post, but just as easily could have been mounted into the tailstock or the bed. My cost was under $40 IIRC and took me a couple hours. I put shoulder bolts through precision drilled holes and also used UHMW squares between the joints to reduce friction. It is pretty smooth. If it ever bothers me I might add bearings but right now they're overkill.

IMG_0058 (768x1024).jpg IMG_0059 (1024x768).jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Brice Rogers View Post
    If you have more money than time or metal skills, you got good advice from previous replies.

If you enjoy making your own tools, Google the Captain Eddie Castelin Snake Hollower. He has plans on his website and I think a You-tube video. I made one out of solid 1" square steel stock. Mine mounts into a banjo with a 1" diameter post, but just as easily could have been mounted into the tailstock or the bed. My cost was under $40 IIRC and took me a couple hours. I put shoulder bolts through precision drilled holes and also used UHMW squares between the joints to reduce friction. It is pretty smooth. If it ever bothers me I might add bearings but right now they're overkill.

IMG_0058 (768x1024).jpg IMG_0059 (1024x768).jpg
    I'm a do-it-yourself-er as well Brice. That is a great looking system!!

Here is a link to the articulating arm. I built it just like the instructions say. Just page down to the news letter and click on the picture to see detail instructions and a parts breakdown
    It works quite well

If you are handy with tools a Jamison type is very easy to make--do use a 1" bar and several bits. Been using one for 25 years now.

My homemade style for $50.B.jpg

Tom, that's a nice looking system. I still need to add a camera.

Allen, Robert and Daryl, it is nice to learn of others that can work with both metal and wood.

Is it just me - I must be in the wrong part of the country - no way could I get hardware even close to $50 to make one of these.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
    Is it just me - I must be in the wrong part of the country - no way could I get hardware even close to $50 to make one of these.

Mike
    I couldn't either. I felt I could make a system however I didn't want to invest around $200 and not sure how well it would work as I only have the basic shop tools and no metal lathe. I do plan to build a Jamison style someday. The Jamison would be easier to build than an articulating arm style IMO. I'm happy with the Hope system as it works well. I did build my steady rest and materials for that cost around $90.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

I own a Monster (articulated and captured), Gizmo and the Carter Hollow Roller....so I have experience on the systems. I come from a hand hollowing background and still do a bunch of hand hollowing, because it is just quicker for me to do a 4-5" diameter or smaller, by hand. But anything larger and I take the time to setup the hollowing rig. Personally I do NOT care for the captured setups (captured Montster rig, Jamison, Sinner, Carter Hollow Roller), because of the lack of smooth fluid movement in ALL axis. The articulated rigs are smooth in every axis and better mimic what I feel during hand hollowing. With the captured setups, they slide the boring bars metal to metal through the captured section. In and out of the vessels are fairly smooth but the side to side has some resistance. Not much, but some. But if you want to safely hollow very deep vessels, the captured rigs are almost the only way to go. Besides which they are relatively inexpensive (Carter Holllow Roller excepted)

Now having said that, they are generally expensive. Monster (if still available) is somewhere around $450, Gizmo (a lot heavier rig) is $700+ without boring bars, The Kobra is $1200+ and 6 month waiting to get one, Alan Trout's rig is up there with the Kobra, but is likely the heaviest built system out there (not really articulated, but with the bearing caseways it is super smooth). There are some lesser expensive articulated setups like the Elbo, but I wasn't very impressed (personally) with the build quality.

Trent Bosch's hollowing rig is a cross between articulated and ....well.. not. But is works really well, has a good amount of smooth movement and super easy to setup on the banjo with the stop collar. Plus I think it is under $350 and Brent sells nice quality hand hollowing setups that can be un-handled and placed in any hollowing rig.

Confused yet? In all seriousness, you should try to make it to a Symposium to put you hands on some (or all) of these rigs, talk to the makers and decide what will be best for you.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Mike,
    I went to the local metal yard and bought the 1" square hot-rolled steel. I think that I paid around $1 to $1.50/pound (it was new and cost more than the rusty $ 0.65/# yard steel) and it used under 20#. The lock nuts, washers and shoulder bolts cost me about $5 -10. The UHMW was free (liberated from a 5 gallon bucket). If I had used bronze bushings or bearings, that would have added a bit more cost. But it still would be an inexpensive project, especially compared to buying a finished commercial product.

If you buy the steel from Home Despot or Lowes, you will pay perhaps 3 or 4 times what you pay at a metal yard.

I enjoy tool building projects. I like the journey and the associated challenges.