Thread: Oak burls

Oak burls

IMG_0520 (Copy).JPGIMG_0547 (Copy).JPGIMG_0555 (Copy).JPGIMG_0552 (Copy).JPGIMG_0518 (Copy).JPG
    I received some oak burls from a friend. The first one is somewhat of a bowl the two that have finials are the other half of the same burl, and the square box is granadillo. It's finials is brown on black dye. The finial on the burl is magenta on brown dye. Which resembles mahogany stain. These are HF. The HF on the magenta on brown are about 1/4" thick, I had planned to make them about half that thickness, but after seeing the post on safety decided to stop. You see right now I have somewhat handicap I am working from a knee scooter and it is difficult to maneuver around my lathe. I gave the bowl like piece to the friend that gave me the burls as a token of thanks. I have about 6 more of his burls with more to come. The deciding factor on making these burl pieces was the drying crack down the middle of the burl.

This is a crazy forum 198 lookers and no comment. I realize you can not take a closer look at my item due to the size restriction on files. Oh well

I'm going to be honest. The burl has great figure, but in my opinion the form of the two doesn't really do anything for me. The first one with the emerging vessel is way too high above the square portion. The second hollow form has a "heavy" look that is accentuated by the beefy finial.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Willing View Post
    This is a crazy forum 198 lookers and no comment. I realize you can not take a closer look at my item due to the size restriction on files. Oh well
    I didn't see these till now. The photos are in fact pretty tiny. But there are no restrictions that would prevent you from posting a bigger photo - you might just have to use a different method of posting or processing your photos. If you have trouble send a note or email and tell how you are going about it now and I'd be glad to help.

These should be fairly large in the message:

And these should be thumbnails, click to enlarge:

Jordans_IMG_0686_crop.jpg Girls_IMG_20150804_121948_936_lathes.jpg

JKJ

test message

test photo attachment
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quite possibly alot of the viewers either don't like to critique work, or are going by the old adage " If you cant say something nice...........................
    I for one adhere to the first.

My observation of the forum is that unless you produce something:

1. Very different from the norm (filled, highly dyed, a sculpture, torus, etc)
    2. Truly exceptional (Keever, Beaver, et. al.)
    3. With a heart touching story behind where the wood came from (this came from my mothers house that burned down...)

you won't get much feedback.

you can increase your odds of getting feedback if you pose a specific question or issue you have.

e.g. -

I had trouble with tear out on my finishing pass... any helpful suggestions?
    I think the finial is a little thick for the lid, what do you think?
    The photo doesn't show it, but when I filled the crack with CA, I got some clouding... any thoughts?
    When I tried to remove the tenon.... blah, blah, blah....

FWIW....

Thank all for the critiques.

I guess I should have said these were my first finials. I tend to make things big because I have made so many game calls too small. I guess everyone missed the fact when I said I was handicapped working from a knee scooter.

Thank all for the critiques.

I guess I should have said these were my first finials. I tend to make things big because I have made so many game calls too small. I guess everyone missed the fact when I said I was handicapped working from a knee scooter.
    I just re-read my post and due to my poor writing, my random examples of questions that lead to more comments could have been misconstued as specific criticisms of your pictures. That wasn't my intent, at all, and I apologize if you felt critiqued in any way.

As as a guy who makes odd-ball stuff that many people find "less than appealing" to put it kindly, I'm not one to criticize work. Those were honestly just random examples that came to my head as I was typing, not meant towards your work.

ive had 7 knee surgeries so I know what it's like to work with a handicap... good on ya for keeping on!

Harold

Thanks for your comments.

I have had two foot surgeries in the past two years and knee surgery the year before that. It is more difficult with a knee scooter, because even the accumulated shaving need to be cleaned away so the scooter can get close enough to work on the lathe. I don't like to complain, but this is just frustrating because I like to keep busy and not just sit around reading everyone post on this site.

make fewer shavings?

I have had two foot surgeries in the past two years and knee surgery the year before that. It is more difficult with a knee scooter, because even the accumulated shaving need to be cleaned away so the scooter can get close enough to work on the lathe. I don't like to complain, but this is just frustrating because I like to keep busy and not just sit around reading everyone post on this site.
    Yikes, we have one of those "knee walkers" my wife used after several foot surgeries, one with absolutely no floor contact allowed for several months. She said it was a royal pain to use even with no shavings on the floor. Far better than crutches, though.

Hey, maybe this is an opportunity to branch out into some turnings that make almost no shavings! These fit on a penny - the chips are maybe a spoonful!

tiny_things.jpg

I really should do some more and make things to the same scale as the goblet. These are ebony and cocobolo - very fine grain. If you don't have any and want to try it I can mail you some pieces; I have plenty. All you need are some small jaws for a chuck, a small spindle gouge, and maybe some 800 grit sandpaper. Small finger tops are good too. For small spindle work I chuck up a piece of wood 4-8" inches long and make several things in a row.

tops_comp.jpg

JKJ