Thread: Spraying finish

Blog Entries

Spraying finish

I like the way a sprayed finish lays down, but the individual spray cans can get pricey for even a small project. I don't make a lot of projects and don't need a $1,000+ spray system. Are any of the smaller HVLP spray systems such as the Wagner Flexio 890 Kit Stationary HVLP Paint Sprayer worth having for small/occasional spraying jobs?
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 08-28-2017 at 9:33 AM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

No experience with the Wagner but I had a Fuji Mini-Mite 3 that would spray almost everything with a bit of thinning. Noisy but highly capable. The alternative is to get a medium flow air compressor (something like a California Air Tools 2HP that will give you 6CFM at 40psi) and a Qualspray LVLP gun which also sprays beautifully and is quiet :-). Both of these are going to be around $6-700 new

I don't have one, but many folks do very well with the Earlex 5500. Less than $300.

John

I bought a Wagner Control Spray Max when I was building my cabin to spray all of the T&G knotty pine and all the trim. Didn't know it wasn't rated to spray shellac and ruined the gun before the job was complete. Couldn't buy repair parts for the gun so I ended u buying a whole new gun, called the iSpray Nozzle. It works great for spraying water based poly, and clean up is a breeze.

I ended up buying a cheap Coleman HVLP gun to use with my compressor and hate the darn thing, leaks like crazy and the compressor is alot noisier than the Wagner unit.

I like the Wagner unit, easy to set up, easy to use and adjust, easy to clean, and easy to store. Just wish it could spray shellac.

Make sure whatever you buy is rated for all the finishes you'd like to spray.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

I decided I wanted a 4-stage turbine HVLP after reading every possible thing I could get my hands on. For the sort of things I do and the tools I generally use, I have no need of a compressor. I'm more interested in compactness of storage when not in use vs. having a big compressor & air tools.

Reading all kinds of manuals and searching I settled on the 4-stage Sprayfine A401 unit from Turbine Products. All in, turbine, gun (it is a bleeder, same as most less expensive turbine units and not an issue for me), hose, spare parts, cleaning kit, 3 extra sets of needle/nozzle kits & shipping I was still well under $700, closer to $650.

Had it almost a year now and still really enjoy using it. Easy to clean. Good range of adjustments, etc. Once adjusted, lays down a nice coat. No thinning except for the thickest exterior enamel latex primer I've used. And then it was fine with a splash of H20 plus some Floetrol. Sprays GF Milk Paint (acrylic) without thinning.

Manual says 8.5psi @ 101CFM for the 4-stage turbine. $100 cheaper for their 3-stage with about 6.5psi. However I have not verified this with measurements myself.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Young View Post
    I decided I wanted a 4-stage turbine HVLP after reading every possible thing I could get my hands on. For the sort of things I do and the tools I generally use, I have no need of a compressor. I'm more interested in compactness of storage when not in use vs. having a big compressor & air tools.

Reading all kinds of manuals and searching I settled on the 4-stage Sprayfine A401 unit from Turbine Products. All in, turbine, gun (it is a bleeder, same as most less expensive turbine units and not an issue for me), hose, spare parts, cleaning kit, 3 extra sets of needle/nozzle kits & shipping I was still well under $700, closer to $650.

Had it almost a year now and still really enjoy using it. Easy to clean. Good range of adjustments, etc. Once adjusted, lays down a nice coat. No thinning except for the thickest exterior enamel latex primer I've used. And then it was fine with a splash of H20 plus some Floetrol. Sprays GF Milk Paint (acrylic) without thinning.

Manual says 8.5psi @ 101CFM for the 4-stage turbine. $100 cheaper for their 3-stage with about 6.5psi. However I have not verified this with measurements myself.
    Rob, those measurements sound very close to the Fuji 4 and 3 stage HVLP so I would think they are realistic

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Giddings View Post
    Rob, those measurements sound very close to the Fuji 4 and 3 stage HVLP so I would think they are realistic
    Yes I recall from reading every turbine HVLP manual I could get my hands on that 3's were generally 5psi to 6+ and 4's were 7-9psi depending on who you ask. And for companies that made a series, each additional stage was worth about 2psi.

But did find big differences in cost of accessories and replacement parts brand-to-brand.

Fuji's on the whole always got high marks in reviews for gun quality. The gun on mine is a pressurized cup-under design. Aluminum with stainless steel tubing inside where stuff flows. Heavy compared to the Fuji XPS line (got to borrow one while I was looking around). Mine looks pretty much like every other generic HVLP gun you find on eBay.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

I watch several Utubes on this gun and it looks fantastic but I don't have nor know of anyone that has first hand experience.As you can see either battery operated or electric.Oil base or latex but its not cheap either----Carroll